Powered USB Hub Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xJulianx, Sep 26, 2007.

1. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

So I have a MacBook (only 2 USB ports) with many USB peripherals. These include a keyboard, mouse, external HD and MIDI keyboard that need to be plugged in all of the time ideally, with the exception of the MIDI keyboard I suppose.

Anyway, when I plug my external HD into my MacBook, I always have to plug in a secondary cable so that it has enough power, this uses up my only 2 USB ports and is quite annoying. Would a powered USB hub solve this issue?

Lastly, could anyone recommend me a couple of hubs, as I have searched around but there's just a sea of them and I'd like to go through recommendation to be honest.

Many thanks.

2. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

This is the hub I currently use: http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4513877

[​IMG]

It has 4 ports, and what I like about it, is all the cables go out the back. The power cable and USB cable that connects to your computer, have 90 degree connectors on them and attach to the sides of the hub. The 4 ports are along the back edge of the hub. It's great if you want cables to be routed behind the hub for a cleaner appearance.

I'm using the hub with my MacBook, and currently have connected: EyeTV EZ (TV Tuner), Kodak camera dock, iPod dock, and 1 external HDD. I haven't had any problems with the hub or any of the devices causing my MacBook to wake from sleep, either.

3. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Thanks, that looks to do everything I want and looks good aswell. Nice price too.

Many thanks.