Powered USB Hubs and AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sfscott, Oct 26, 2008.

1. sfscott macrumors member

I connected a powered D-Link USB hub to the USB port on my Airport Extreme. The Seagate Free Agent Drive I plan to use for backups is connected through the hub.

When starting up, I get an error message from the Airport Utility that there is a disk error. Moreover, my iPhone isn't recognized by iTunes, and a couple of other USB devices don't seem to be working.

Can this setup work, and if so, is the problem my hub? If not, I assume the disk can attach to the Airport Extreme, but the hub has to go right into the Mac.

I just got the Mac, so I am trying to work out all of the kinks.

2. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Unfortunately, Itunes wont recognize an ipod/iphone on the network. It has to be connected directly to the computer. Ive tried this multiple times and have never gotten it work over the network.

You didnt mention which other usb peripherals were not working, but I would bet it is because these arent meant to be accessed through the network either. The only thing that will be accessible are printers/hard drives. That is all that I have plugged up to my hub on my network.

Anything else and it will have to be connected directly to the computer