Powerful Home Sharing -- ?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by emmess, Apr 23, 2012.

1. emmess macrumors newbie

All,

I have built a Windows 7 32-bit based machine and loaded my iTunes library on it. I have roughly 7000 audio files and 1600 video files. On this machine, I have also set up Home Sharing.

I am curious as to how powerful the machine should be. This particular machine uses a Keebox wireless adapter to access my home network (802.11n), has 4GB of RAM, 4 TB of HD space and a 2.5 gHz AMD processor (I know, I know...).

After successfully connecting to the iTunes library with my iPad, playing a video file is an exercise -- it might play, it might not. My iPad might also try to reconnect to my iTunes library, which could take up to a half and hour... or might not reconnect at all. All sorts of fun.

Am I mistaken in the thought that I upgrade the machine itself (more RAM, bigger processor..)? Should I consider hard wiring the machine to my network?

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what I should do?

Many thanks to all... :D

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I would hard wire your server not run wifi for a start.

Does your router run dual more n or does it step down for older devices?

----------

Oh and 8gb of ram would be good ;)

3. emmess thread starter macrumors newbie

Router does not run dual mode N.

Trying the hard-wired approach, will report back... hold please.

4. estrides macrumors regular

estrides

Hard wiring your server will make an obnoxious difference. It will most likely double your speeds.

5. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I never use wireless on desktop machines.. It's just too unreliable.

Also, wrong section. :)

6. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

Nce gou hard wire the machine you'd see a CRAZY difference in speed. That and the 8gb might be all you need. I would try those first. Higher ram is ALWAYS nice :D

7. emmess thread starter macrumors newbie

So I have an obscene difference in the speed with hardwiring. However now I have a different problem that I didn't notice before.

My ripped movies show up just fine in the home share on my iPad, but my ripped tv shows (complete with season metadata and descriptions) show up as duplicated and without artwork. So I have in the home share on the iPad multiple instances of the same tv show without descriptions or artwork. Some shows aren't showing up at all.

Help!