Powerful MP3 tagging program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ramparts, Nov 19, 2008.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

Hey all, I switched over from Windows a few months ago. One of the best programs I had was this old MP3 tagger that was extremely powerful, got ID3 data from the file name, renamed things, changed tags, etc., really efficiently. I looked high and low for a good equivalent on the Mac and could only find one program that came close, Tritag. But it's buggy, has some major flaws (like the difficulty in getting table data to the ID3 tags without renaming the files!) and lacks a few important features (for example, it doesn't keep embedded album art when it renames files, and makes it tricky to add track numbers to file names).

Does anyone know of any good tagging programs to use for Mac? What I'd like to be able to do, ideally, is:

• Take data from file names in a series of files (regular expressions, for example look at "Albumname 01 First song.mp3" and get Track No=1, Title="First Song"), but that's less important.
    • Rename the files based on the tags, i.e. if I have a file with Track No=1 and Title="First Song", rename the file "01 - First Song.mp3", and do that for a list of MP3s.
    • Put the track number at the beginning of each track title in the ID3, i.e. turn Title="First Song" into Title="01 - First Song". I don't mind doing it by renaming the files appropriately (turning a file into "01 - First Song.mp3") and then extracting the tags back from the filename, but TriTag is bad at that when I have characters like colons in the track title which can't go in a file name. So I'd really like a program that addresses that issue.

That's more or less it - I'd really appreciate any software suggestions and I'm sure others would too! Thanks.

2. south8212 macrumors 6502

looking for the same....ive got a bunch of files that only contain the artist and title (i need the album and artwork for each)