Powering Down Times Have Increased. Why?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smcgil9899, Jan 30, 2009.

1. smcgil9899 macrumors member

Normally when I shut power off my MacBook Pro, it takes about 4-5 seconds and then its off. Since I installed VMware Fusion yesterday, it takes about 1 minute to power off. What is going on? I read somewhere that when you quit a virtual machine you need to choose "kill all" to stop any background processes. How do I do this or is this just normal.

2. Loccy macrumors member

I also have the same issue. Looking around the VMWare forums they do seem to say it's "normal" (although I disagree) but I suppose it's "normal" insofar as lots of people see the same behaviour.

There are hackish things you can do to your VMWare install but they all to my mind seem to be more trouble than they're worth, leaving you having to manually start scripts before running VMWare and the like. I've chosen to just live with it.

3. smcgil9899 thread starter macrumors member

A guy on another forum said that I need shut down Windows in VMware like I normally would shut down using the "Start" and "Shutdown". I tried this last night and it worked. My computer went off in about 4-5 seconds. Here is how I did it:

In VMware:
    1. When finished using Windows, goto to START, Select TURN OFF COMPUTER, then select SHUTDOWN. Wait for Windows to shut down. DO NOT SUSPEND Windows.

2. Goto VMWare on top toolbar and select QUIT VMWARE FUSION.

Your finished. I was suspending Windows instead of shutting it down. By suspending, there are still some background processes running and these were having to close before OS X would shut down, taking more time.

Hope this helps

4. joedavis34 macrumors regular