Powering rMBP from 12 volt supply

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lovestruck, Jul 9, 2013.

1. lovestruck macrumors member

Travelling the inland waterways of the UK
    I am totally new to Apple having used PC's & MS over the years.
    I live on a Narrowboat in the UK moving around all the time so shore power is not an option.
    I want to get a 13"rMBP (mainly for photograph editing) when the new Haswell models come out so as to maximise battery life.
    I will be able to charge / use 240 Volts when the boat engine is on but the rest of the time it will need to be plugged into a 12 volt socket.
    At the moment we use our PC'c in this way with small mini inverters but have researched about doing this with Apple computers and the results do not look encouraging.
    Has anyone any experience of this or any thoughts?

Cheers...

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

I have no experience but yes an ac invertor seems like the best way to do it. No reason it shouldnt work so long as the invertor can put out enough juice which any of the should be able to

3. NukeIT macrumors regular

4. katmeef macrumors 6502

I'd imagine the quality of the inverter will have an effect on the longevity of the power brick for the mac. If possible use a pure sine wave inverter, I have a few UPS's with cheap square wave inverters and I won't run any expensive electronic equipment off them.

5. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify