powering up your Macbook while in clamshell mode?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tfosorcim, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Tfosorcim macrumors newbie

I know this question has probably been asked before, but the subsequent answers are several years old and I just wanted to revive it should Apple have provided a adequate solution since then.

Is there a way to power up the macbook pro (mine is a early 2015 13" retina) when in clamshell mode?

For reasons outside of the scope of this post, I need to shut off my MBP overnight and powering it back on the next day is literally a balancing act with a couple of close calls.

Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, but you'll need to solder an external switch to the power on test pads on the logicboard.

3. Tfosorcim thread starter macrumors newbie

preferably less intrusive and warranty violating than Macguyvering my MacBook :)

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That's the only way other than pressing the actual power button.

5. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

why not just sleep? If you are really worried about power usage just unplug the magsafe after putting it to sleep.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You can set it to automatically turn on at a specified time the next day in System Preferences > Energy Saver > Schedule.

7. Tfosorcim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I'll give 'sleep' a try, though there was a reason I had to turn it off to begin with that I can't recall at the moment. I believe it was because my DisplayPort NEC monitor wouldn't wake after the computer did. That being said, it's easier to unplug/re-plug a cable than it is opening the MB (because its in a clamshell stand).

Thanks again

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Well, if you have it in a clamshell stand (like Henge Docks), then you do not need to touch your machine at all.
    I have set my MBP to never sleep when connected to AC. I just turn off the display and that's it.
    It is easiest to do by assigning one hot corner of screen to "Put dispplay to sleep" function.
    Screen Shot 2016-01-24 at 1.37.08.PNG
    This way it is always awake and ready for action. You can not run clamshell mode without AC anyway, so that's what I figured was most effective.

9. kazibole macrumors member

You can also press Shift–Control–Power (or Eject) if you have an Apple keyboard to put the display to sleep.

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Thank you so much this is what I am looking for!