PowerLine and airport extreme question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brentg33, Mar 19, 2013.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Hi all

First my current setup-
    I have a new gen Airport Extreme as my main router. I have my imac and printer wired to it. I also have an older Airport Extreme downstairs in bridge mode acting as an wireless extender.

I recently purchased a Netgear Powerline (XAVB5004) its the one geared to home theater use. Its a powerline adapter that connects to you main router (my current gen Airport Extreme) and at the other power outlet, it has a four port switch/adapter. I currently have my TV and PS3 connected to the powerline switch downstairs and everything works well.

I wanted to wire in my older Airport Extreme (in bridge mode) into the powerline switch/adapter as well. However, i first tried plugging the ethernet cable from the powerline adapter to the WAN port of the older APE. No luck, i then moved it to one of the APE's ethernet ports and suddenly the TV and PS3 could no longer connect and my iphone could no longer connect to my wireless network.

Is there a way to wire my older APE in bridge mode? Which port on the APE should i use?

thanks

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

You need to change the setup on the second AE unit. It should no longer be working as a wireless extender. Change it to Create a Wireless Network and use the same Wireless settings as on the first AE. Network mode should still be Off (Bridge Mode). Internet mode should be DHCP.

As you are changing the network topology you should power cycle all the units connected to the second AE, as well as the second AE. Do the second AE first and wait till it finishes (green light).

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks....i will try that when i get home tonight.
    Also, would it be from the powerline switch to the old APE's ethernet or lan port?

I'm thinking i might have to re-download the older version of Airport Utility. Not sure i can do all of that with the most recent version.

thanks

4. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

If you are in Bridge mode then I don't think it makes a difference. Otherwise (e.g. in Router mode), the WAN port (normally connected to the modem) is inaccessible to stuff connected to the LAN port.