Powerline or ethernet to coax adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dobro03, Feb 19, 2011.

1. dobro03 macrumors member

I need to run an ethernet connection to a room that is about 100 feet away from my main computer/cable modem. I've tried just using wireless with my Airport Extreme but the connection sometimes gets dropped and also the delay is too long. (I'm running a remote desktop connection for a music app)

Does anyone know what works better and is more reliable; a powerline for the ethernet connection or I do have some direct coax tie lines that are hooked up to that back room (No cable TV on these) so would a coax to ethernet adapter work better?

This is an old house and I can't just run a new ethernet line back there through the attic etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

If you can find a pair of Motorola NIM-100's on eBay they would work and seem to be rock solid. They just plug in with no setup required and auto-configure over the coax. They use the MoCA protocol. They even work if you do have cable TV on the line as well as they use different frequency bands.

Motorola only manufactured these for commercial use, so you generally cannot buy them retail. There are other MoCA adapters out there as well which may work as well.

/Jim