Powerline or wireless connection

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mcaruso95, Jun 18, 2009.

1. mcaruso95 macrumors newbie

I searched the forums, but did not find anything concrete so.....

I just had new internet, cable services installed. The installer located the main box for the service (AT&T u-verse) near a TV and not near my iMac. He used a powerline adapter to run internet to the iMac. However the box does have built in wireless G. I cannot run a hardline from the box to the computer without running a rather ugly line over windows and doors from one to the other. The room is a sun room so I cannot just fish it through the walls. Taking into consideration that I live near Orlando, Florida which has a lot of lightning, and I have had the GFI pop off in the room where the computer and cable/internet box is located, the question to be debated is:

Do I keep the connection with the powerline or disconnect and use the wireless?
    I think that the powerline is probably faster, but obviously makes little difference with the internet. I do have a TiVO hooked up to the network, wirelessly and have transferred programs from the TiVo to the computer. The powerline adapters are plugged directly into outlets because surge protectors filter the signal. And now for your thoughts. :)

2. belvdr macrumors 603

If it's working and speeds are acceptable, I wouldn't bother messing with it.

3. lostime macrumors regular

I have thought about the powerline adapters but was concerned that they would add unnecessary noise to the power lines. Their speed is improving (150Mbps I think) so it might be an option.

I would just go over wireless or get a cheap wireless "N" router if "G" speeds aren't fast enough for you.

4. hardax macrumors regular

I have had zero luck with powerline networks. They are a lot more expensive too.

5. mcaruso95 thread starter macrumors newbie

The powerline adapters are already in place, at no cost to me. It does work, I used it all day yesterday. But, I have concerns about the risk of damage to my iMac from surges through the powerline. We have regular summertime thunderstorms in Central Florida. I don't know the ruggedness of the powerline adapters to surges. If I disconnect the powerline adapters and go wireless, then I have to deal with lower network speeds and potential wireless flakiness from the AT&T router.