Powerlines over water in simcity?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by spaceballl, Dec 20, 2008.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I can't seem to get the powerlines to go over water... I can build bridges but no can do with power. Advice please!

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I thought you couldn't do that till Sim City 4?

3. synagence macrumors 6502a

Power transmits over the roads so you don't need powerlines over a bridge ...

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Is there Sim City 4 for the iPhone? ;)

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

:p I meant it's not going to have SC4 features when it's supposed to be SC300 compressed to buggery.

6. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

In Sim City 3000 (desktop version) you could get the power lines to go over the water, but it was tricky to set up everything right.

Is the terrain on both sides of the water at the same height? Are there buildings (on either side of the water) in the way of the tower being built? is the terrain on either end of the crossing perpendicular to the path of the power lines? You had to go through a lot of effort to get certain items across rivers.

7. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Have we ever gotten anything official saying this was based on SimCity 3000? I liked 2000 a lot better.

8. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Are you sure? Look at this screenshot from my city.. am I doing something wrong?

Attached Files:

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You could do powerlines over water in 2000. I'm not sure about the original.

10. TheBearman macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what might be causing the problem you are seeing. I just tested and had no problems running power lines over water. The only thing I needed to be sure of was that it ended and started on a full dry land grid.

11. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

Just find a place where the land is flat on both sides. Then make sure you start, at least 4 squares from the water, drag all the way across about 4 squares onto the other side.

12. moodselektor macrumors newbie

moodselektor

hey man,

I had the same issue. I guess it is a bug.

what i did was, I reserved one side of the river for residential and the other side for industry. If i build the power plant on the industry side the power wouldn't go to the residential part. When I did the opposite it worked. I don't know why. That's my solution.

Try to build environmentally friendly power sources if you choose to put them around the residential area.

Take care and good luck,

13. blackdove macrumors newbie

Anyone got any idea what's up here?

[​IMG]

I have completely cleared the surface, water and subway levels, straightened the river (canal now) edge on both sides by leveling in towards the water and then going down into the bottom and leveling back towards the shore, then let 3 years go by to be sure the simulation engine had registered everything thoroughly.

I don't see why I can't lay a power line across the river here. I even started 10 squares from the built up side and went 10 squares in to the clear side with the power line tool.

If I build one power plant on the clear side, will the game just "balance out" the discrepancy between sides as I develop the "uncharted territory"?

14. sirsabotahj10 macrumors newbie

Building powerlines!

I cant build powerlines at all! i build a power station and roads and zones and can do water and pipes but no powerlines! HELP!!