Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
In Sim City 3000 (desktop version) you could get the power lines to go over the water, but it was tricky to set up everything right.

Is the terrain on both sides of the water at the same height? Are there buildings (on either side of the water) in the way of the tower being built? is the terrain on either end of the crossing perpendicular to the path of the power lines? You had to go through a lot of effort to get certain items across rivers.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
:p I meant it's not going to have SC4 features when it's supposed to be SC300 compressed to buggery.

Have we ever gotten anything official saying this was based on SimCity 3000? I liked 2000 a lot better.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Power transmits over the roads so you don't need powerlines over a bridge ...
Are you sure? Look at this screenshot from my city.. am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    145.7 KB · Views: 607

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
Are you sure? Look at this screenshot from my city.. am I doing something wrong?

I'm not sure what might be causing the problem you are seeing. I just tested and had no problems running power lines over water. The only thing I needed to be sure of was that it ended and started on a full dry land grid.

Jblack4083

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2007
Just find a place where the land is flat on both sides. Then make sure you start, at least 4 squares from the water, drag all the way across about 4 squares onto the other side.

moodselektor

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
I can't seem to get the powerlines to go over water... I can build bridges but no can do with power. Advice please!

hey man,

I had the same issue. I guess it is a bug.

what i did was, I reserved one side of the river for residential and the other side for industry. If i build the power plant on the industry side the power wouldn't go to the residential part. When I did the opposite it worked. I don't know why. That's my solution.

Try to build environmentally friendly power sources if you choose to put them around the residential area.

Take care and good luck,

blackdove

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
Anyone got any idea what's up here?

sc3kss.jpg

I have completely cleared the surface, water and subway levels, straightened the river (canal now) edge on both sides by leveling in towards the water and then going down into the bottom and leveling back towards the shore, then let 3 years go by to be sure the simulation engine had registered everything thoroughly.

I don't see why I can't lay a power line across the river here. I even started 10 squares from the built up side and went 10 squares in to the clear side with the power line tool.

If I build one power plant on the clear side, will the game just "balance out" the discrepancy between sides as I develop the "uncharted territory"?

sirsabotahj10

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
Building powerlines!

I cant build powerlines at all! i build a power station and roads and zones and can do water and pipes but no powerlines! HELP!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.