Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NSiebenmor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Savannah GA
I'm having a difficult time deciding between the Dual 2.0 and 2.3 model Powermac so I thought I'd ask for your opinions and whether the 2.3 is worth the extra cost? I mainly do a lot of photo editing, somtimes with 400mb files or bigger. I know the Dual 2.0 only has 4 slots for RAM but I don't plan on going over 2gigs of RAM any time soon. I'm getting the educational discount so please don't suggest a refurbished computer, I also want the dual layer burner on the current models. Do I really need the pci-x slots on the 2.3? I do occasionally work with video but it's really unpredictable how often I'll be editing in the future. Will pci-x be phased out once Apple changes to Intel processors and possibly pci-e? Do you think that it would be smart for me to go cheaper and get the 2.0 to get me by for the next 2 years considering there will probably be a huge speed increase by then, or is the 2.3 model that much better? Also, do you recommend the small graphics card upgrade from the ATI Radeon 9600 w/128mb ddr sdram to the 9650 w/256mb ddr sdram?

thanks for any help.

Quartz Extreme

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2005
USA
Either way you go, you are getting one fast computer.

If you plan to upgrade in a few years when the Pro-sumer models go Intel then you could save money with the dual 2.0GHz.

Concerning the graphics card, unless you do 3D gaming, it probably isn't that necessary. The 9600 supports Core Image, which would be helpful for your photo work.

I haven't heard of that many PCI-X cards to tell you the truth, aside from some very high-end stuff like fiber optic network cards, so if you don't think you'll need it, then stick with the 2.0 GHz.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Rev B 2.0 dual G5's still available

This afternoon I dropped by CompUSA to see if they still had any Rev B 2.0's dual G5's available.

I spoke with the store manager for quite some time and was told that they
DO indeed still carry the Rev B in store and on their web site on managers special for $1899.

Unfortunately CompUSA still does not honor Apple's education pricing, but the manager told me they might consider a corporate discount for those who qualify.

Even without the education discount this 2004 model is still a better choice
that the newest Rev C. 2.0 and far more affordable than the new 2.3's

Earlier this morning I also noticed that the Apple store Red Tag Sale area
was offering Rev B dual 2.0 refurbs for $1649, so that gives those of you looking at the dual G5 PowerMacs another option.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
I just bought a dual 2.3 probably an hour ago. I don't think there will be Power Macs powered by Intel for at least 2 and a half years. That's a lot of time to get work done on the computer. In my opinion it's a waste to spend that much money on a computer, and not get the higher model, due to something happening in the future. I'm assuming oyu can afford to get both of them, because otherwise, waht would be the point of the thread. Anyways, get the 2.3, you won't regret it.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I was thinking that given the news of the death of the solo 18 that it really boiled down to the iMac 2.0's or the PM 2.0's. For me having a Dell FP2001 20", the choice is now pointing to a 2.0 rev B or a rev C. The dual layer of the rev C is driving towards that unit.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
Chip NoVaMac said:
I was thinking that given the news of the death of the solo 18 that it really boiled down to the iMac 2.0's or the PM 2.0's. For me having a Dell FP2001 20", the choice is now pointing to a 2.0 rev B or a rev C. The dual layer of the rev C is driving towards that unit.

Chip, I was at the Tyson's CompUSA! :)

I know the newer Rev C offers a dual layer DVD drive and the slightly better ATI Radeon 9600 128MB GPU card, but those are things you can add
any time. Blank Dual layer DVD's are also real expensive.

The major problem with the Rev C is that it uses the pro-sumer motherboard which restricts you to 4 GB RAM and the standard three open full-length 33MHz, 64-bit PCI slots.

The older Rev B uses the PRO motherboard allowing for full 8GB RAM
and has the far better three open full-length PCI-X slots: one 133MHz, 64-bit slot and two 100MHz, 64-bit slots.
The only tradeoff in the Rev B is the stock 64 MB Nvidia 5200 GPU card,
but that's a rather minor detail in the long run.

If you're on a tight budget, I'd seriously consider the Rev B refurb for $1649
and spend the money you save on RAM at either Crucial or OWC.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
FFTT said:
Chip, I was at the Tyson's CompUSA! :)

I know the newer Rev C offers a dual layer DVD drive, larger hard drive and ATI Radeon 9600 128MB GPU card, but those are all things you can add later.

The problem with the Rev C is that it uses the pro-sumer motherboard
which restricts you to 4 GB RAM and the standard three open full-length 33MHz, 64-bit PCI slots.

The older Rev B uses the Pro motherboard allowing for full 8GB RAM
and has the far better three open full-length PCI-X slots: one 133MHz, 64-bit slot and two 100MHz, 64-bit slots.
The only tradeoff in the Rev B is the stock 64 MB Nvidia 5200 GPU card,
but that's a rather minor detail in the long run.

If you're on a tight budget, I'd seriously consider the Rev B refurb for $1649
and spend the money you save on RAM at either Crucial or OWC.

And there is the rub....

BTW, stop by Penn Camera there and say hi...

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
2.3! 2.3! 2.3!

macbaseball said:
I just bought a dual 2.3 probably an hour ago. I don't think there will be Power Macs powered by Intel for at least 2 and a half years.
Yes, the Power Macs are going to be the last to be updated, towards the end of 2007 if everything goes well, and then add shipping delays (and huge demand). :) So the Intel Power Macs are still far out in the future. Nevertheless, there will be updates to Power Macs on PPC before the Intel based ones come out.

macbaseball said:
In my opinion it's a waste to spend that much money on a computer, and not get the higher model, due to something happening in the future. I'm assuming oyu can afford to get both of them, because otherwise, waht would be the point of the thread. Anyways, get the 2.3, you won't regret it.
I second this. The 2.3GHz is the highest model without (the future complications that might arise with) liquid cooling, and I definitely recommend going for 8 RAM slots. It doesn't matter how much RAM you're going to be adding to it, but having more slots gives you more flexibility to add RAM at your pace without having to throw away (or sell) your existing RAM. :)

Since you're using the Edu discount, have you considered paying $99 to become a student ADC (Apple Developer Connection) member? That would bring down the price of your Power Mac a lot more than the base Edu discount. You would have to register for the student ADC first, be verified by Apple AND THEN place the order through the ADC Hardware Purchase Store online (not the regular online education store).

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
I edited my post after looking at the apple web site.
Both Rev's of the 2.0 come with a 160 GB HD.

The 2.3 is totally sweet indeed, but that extra $600 goes a long way towards
other options if the 2.0 covers your needs for the next few years.

brendel95

macrumors regular
May 23, 2005
FFTT said:
This afternoon I dropped by CompUSA to see if they still had any Rev B 2.0's dual G5's available.

I spoke with the store manager for quite some time and was told that they
DO indeed still carry the Rev B in store and on their web site on managers special for $1899.

Unfortunately CompUSA still does not honor Apple's education pricing, but the manager told me they might consider a corporate discount for those who qualify.

Even without the education discount this 2004 model is still a better choice
that the newest Rev C. 2.0 and far more affordable than the new 2.3's

Earlier this morning I also noticed that the Apple store Red Tag Sale area
was offering Rev B dual 2.0 refurbs for $1649, so that gives those of you looking at the dual G5 PowerMacs another option.

Ask for better price to the sales person. I went to local(charlotte, NC) compusa store 2 weeks ago and I asked for the possible discount for Rev. B. dual 1.8Ghz. Originally it was $1699. Then they gave me $1549+$249(must Applecare). Although I didn't buy it at that time, it seems not a bad deal. Then I went another compusa store during the same week on saturday. They had both rev B. Dual 2.0 and 1.8 at $1549 and $1749 at manager's special and 36 month interest free(no need to buy applecare). I think they still do have Dual 1.8Ghz.

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.