PowerMac 7500 questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by appleontheapex, Aug 7, 2012.

1. appleontheapex macrumors newbie

So, I have a PowerMac 7500/100, and some questions.

1. There seems to be a whistling/squealing noise coming from the computer. It seems to be coming from the PSU, however, I can't find any problems with capacitors or any signs of problems for that matter. It does it mainly when idle; a load on it causes it to silence. There does seem to be a lot of glue (hot glue) over the capacitors, yellow in color. Seems odd to me. Also an odd thing, when I upgraded the OS from 8 to 9.1, the noise was less prominent.

2: The computer has, what I believe to be, a Sonnet G3 processor upgrade. It's clocked at 333MHz. On the side of the card, there are 12 little switches. I have no clue what they are, because I can't find any documentation for the processor. Maybe it's a way to overclock it?

3: I've heard of people upgrading the OS past the supported 9.2.x, as far as 10.2. If I bought a bigger HDD (more than 1GB) is that kind of upgrade possible?

I've got more questions, but these have been on my mind.

Also, every time a plastic part breaks off of it, I die a bit inside :p

2. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Not sure about the noise, power supplies are always suspect.

The hard drive upgrade should allow you to upgrade easily to os 10.2. I am bidding on a processor upgrade for my 7300 now to do exactly that. I got lucky though, guy I got the 7300 from never let the plastic see the light of day. Looks new out of the box.

The switches are for processor and bus speed, but if you can't find the book on sonnets sight I'd leave them be until you get a copy.

Good luck.