Powermac 9600 problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BJonson, May 15, 2014.

1. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

I have a 9600 and an 8600. Both machines work fine. Both machines have brand new PRAM batteries. Both machines require the power button to be pressed twice to turn on. I don't get it. You press it once and it turns green and sounds like its powering up but no video. Press it again and it shuts off. Press it once more and it boots normally. Anybody know what the problem might be? Once it powers up the machine works perfect. I have tried switching out the ram and moving them around but seems like it work fix it but then do it again later. :confused:

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It may be your power supplys. My Quicksilver does this, only it's more than twice if it's been shutdown for awhile. I have alot of power hungry devices inside, including the CPUs. I don't know exactly what's going on, but it seems to be a shortage of power when it's being asked for. Eventually it gets what it needs and starts, but sometimes it takes awhile.

3. BJonson thread starter macrumors 6502a

BJonson

It was the RAM. I was mixing 60ns and 50ns. When I removed all the 50ns memory it boots right up.