PowerMac and Mac Pro similarity.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Quad 2.5 G5 =), May 10, 2009.

1. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

I posted a thread on the similarity of the PowerBook G4 and the non-unibody MBP here- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=696361

Now I am wondering if, when somebody sees your PMG5, they mistake it for a mac pro.

They might not, because of the howling fans, the buzzing that sometimes happens, the 1 Optical Drive tray thing and the Liquid Cooling.
    On a side note, Does anybody have more than one PowerMac?
    Example- Dual 1.8 G5, Dual Core 2.0 G5. Dual 1.42 G4, 450 MHz. B&W.

2. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

"PowerMac". Just any machine with that name? I have 8 or 10 of them. Not in service at all though.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

People can easily mistake a PMG5 from an MP being that they use the same case design (at least externally). But there are also slight cosmetic differences on the front panel:

1. The MP has cut-outs for two internal optical drives; the PMG5 only has one.

2. The USB and FW ports are oriented horizontally on the MP; they're oriented vertically on the PMG5.

Comparison image.

But not that an average joe user would know that.

4. Quad 2.5 G5 =) thread starter macrumors 6502

Any PowerPC G-series or PPC 601-604, so any one.
    I think that the older PowerMacs were called "Power Macintosh", for example-
    "Power Macintosh 9600", "Power Macintosh 6520"

5. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I think my brother here a few minutes ago, with very limited knowledge of the Macintosh lines, thought that my Power Mac G5 was not different at all from the MacPro. He left before I could explain it to him, so I guess there is always next week. I'm sure he would know the difference, say, when I turned it on.:D

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Would he be able to tell the difference between the innards?

7. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I would hope. The huge G5 on the inside would be a major tip-off, and fortunately my brother is literate. I was originally making a reference to how fast the fans blow on this thing, but they've toned down over the past few hours. 47 degrees C on a low load? :eek: I did not think it was possible. Or is that warm?