PowerMac and PowerBook WiFi Signal

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacCubed, Sep 1, 2015.

1. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

So as some of you know, I have both a Quad and a DP. The Quad is in the "Loft" and the DP is in my bedroom. There are 3 routers in my house, one in the living room, one in the laundry room, and one in the Loft. The one in the laundry room utilizes the CAT5e jacks around my house and uses those as ethernet jacks. The Quad is connected by ethernet to the network switch, which is connected to the laundry room router via the method above. I have the loft router connected to the switch, so anything on the laundry room network or the upstairs one is accessible. Now, I usually use WiFi on both my DP and DLSD, I get 4 bars originally and then after a bit of use, it fluctuates between 2-3 bars. It may not seem like an issue, but it runs at full speed on 4 bars, but performance is gone on 2-3 bars. I was thinking that this weekend I could use the CAT5e in my room as an ethernet and connect the DP that way. Thus leaving the DLSD, I usually use it in the Loft, but I occasionally bring it in my room and a restricted by the lack of internet. I don't know if this is a range issue or an airport issue. The DP is using and antenna to connect the to loft network and so is the DLSD(using the internal antenna).

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It would seem to me that you have interference. How many WiFi networks are there locally? What happens if you change the WiFi channel?

I have two WiFi routers at home functioning as wireless bridges and the older one is the more common 2.5Ghz version. I live in a moderately crowded neighborhood and you would not believe per channel just how many neighboring networks are around me.

The damn microwave even interferes with signal.

That would be the first thing I'd look at.

3. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I have 9 networks emitting from my house, then I have the neighbors 2 WiFi networks, along with my other neighbors 3(I helped him setup them but when he got new routers, he never unplugged the old ones), then there is a Comcast hotspot and thats it. Some are picked up at different time and 3 of mine are 5Ghz so they won't show up on the PPCs

4. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I have let it sit idle for a bit, it's now back at 4 bars

5. ThisOldMacHead macrumors member

Nine wifi networks? Holy moly... Years ago, when our church wanted blanket the Parish Hall, offices, and rectory with wifi, I setup five routers/access points throughout the property. I set them all up to operate on different channels and none were set up to channel 6. Never had a problem with signal strength.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, try and find a different channel! Everybody is stepping on everyone else!

7. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Ok I have been trying to change the channel but the router won't let me. It is an extender in access point mode, so it by default, uses the channel of laundry room router

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Change the channel of the laundry room router. ;)