Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendel95

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2005
I am trying to decide between Old and New Dual 2.0 Ghz PowerMac.
Spec seems almost same except video card and ram slots. New one has better video card and old one has more ram slots :confused:

I guess old 2.0 is better than the new 2.0, because old 2.0 was mid model and new one is entry model. Correct me if I am wrong.

Is there any other differences or anything I have to consider before I buy?
And by the way, I do scientific computing and play game time to time

Thanks in advance
:)

PCM

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2005
dual layer burner on new one but really who cares for your application...old DP two point oh IMHO is a better deal...

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
brendel95 said:
I am trying to decide between Old and New Dual 2.0 Ghz PowerMac.
Spec seems almost same except video card and ram slots. New one has better video card and old one has more ram slots :confused:

I guess old 2.0 is better than the new 2.0, because old 2.0 was mid model and new one is entry model. Correct me if I am wrong.

Is there any other differences or anything I have to consider before I buy?
And by the way, I do scientific computing and play game time to time

Thanks in advance
:)

I would go for the old 2GHz DP PowerMac G5. The RAM slots are not upgradeable, a video card is. So do not base your decision on the video card as both of the stock cards should probably be replaced with an ATI Radeon 9800 or better. Just my two cents- either way you go you will love your new Mac!

brendel95

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Right now I am thinking 512MB(stock)+1GB(already 4 slots :eek:). And I will add more, if my code requires more than that in the future. Although I like ATI better, I will be probably happy with old video card (I don't do any video editing or hardcore game, halo Wow, and Sims are all the game I play)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
brendel95 said:
Right now I am thinking 512MB(stock)+1GB(already 4 slots :eek:). And I will add more, if my code requires more than that in the future. Although I like ATI better, I will be probably happy with old video card (I don't do any video editing or hardcore game, halo Wow, and Sims are all the game I play)

1.5GB of RAM, sounds good to me. I was considering putting in another 2GB of RAM in my system, but I need to buy a new Cinema Display and video card before I upgrade my RAM (first things first).

brendel95

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Finally, I bought old dual 2.0Ghz at a good deal. Now I have one more question.

Is kingston (KVR400) ram okay?
Is it okay to buy two(individually packaged) ram not the pair in one package?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.