PowerMac Dual G5 Dual Video cards possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cadet326, Nov 2, 2009.

1. cadet326 macrumors newbie

I have a Powermac Dual G5 @2.0ghz, with 8gbs of ram, and 2 1tb drives running the latest version of 10.5. The problem I have is that I have 4 LCD monitors that I was using with my PC. I swapped that out with my mac, and while I am no novice, I didnt take into account that I cant just put any AGP and PCI video card into the system.

What I need to know is if I can use two PCI video cards both with Dual Monitor outputs, and if so, which cards should I buy, and where? I found some video cards on ebay that are PCI, and it is quartz extreme compatible, but I am unable to use it with the AGP card already installed. The person selling the cards was unable to answer whether or not two of those cards could be used together. I only have about 75 per card to spend. Please help, I cant go on using this awesome machine with only one 19inch LCD. and I cant afford to buy new monitors. Thanks.

:apple::confused:

2. TacMac macrumors newbie

Dual Cards

Hello

I am running a dual G5 2.3ghz with two video cards. I took the power cord that connects to the logic board and spliced in a splitter from another power cord. Running the Nvidia 7280 cards that came with the G5. seems to work - running 2 monitors, a projector and a TV.

3. SweetDoug macrumors newbie

G5 2.3 Dual Graphic Card Monitor Question-How?

Just pulled nVidia 6800 to install a Radeon x1900.

The X1900 is in the PCIx (Express) 16x slot, the first one, (the lowest slot) with the power cable plugged in, and everything works, running two monitors.

How can I use the nVidia 6800? Can I, to run a third monitor? I think it was plugged into the bottom slot (The 16x slot like the x1900 is currently.)

I have plugged it into the 8x slot, but nothing happened when I connected the monitor.

Running Tiger but upgrading to Leopard soon.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

And if clarification is needed, please ask.

SweetDoug