Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
I need help, I was surfing the web on my quad today and suddenly it just wouldn't load any pages. so i check the cable and everything seemed all swell and good so I checked network an it reported back green on ethernet

I switched to 5 different ports, reset the modem several times, called the cable company they said our internet was up. so as a last ditch effort I tried to install a pci ethernet card tried to pop it and i'm like Wtf is this, so the card only had a slit in the back and wouldn't fit inside

help

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Open Terminal and type in the following:

ping yourrouterip

Where yourrouterip is the IP address of your router.

In my case it would be:

ping 192.168.0.1

If you get anything back OTHER than something like this: "64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=10 ttl=127 time=2.228 ms" then it's likely that your ethernet port is failing or has failed.

You can stop the action by pressing CTRL+C. Terminal will then tell you how many packets were sent and how many were returned and the percentage of loss.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
so after fiddiling with the machine's network settings for a while. I decided to go sit on the front porch and have some tea and think about the whole situation...

I found a small envelope laying on the porch and it turned out to be the pram battery I had ordered a few weeks ago (the one in the quad is dead) so I took my drink to go and put in the new pram into the g5 and guess what? the machine booted remembered the time perfectly and had no trouble connecting to the internet. just as a test I put the bad one back in and it wouldn't remember the time nor connect to Ethernet

just thought I would let you guys know what solved the problem

SaberBlock

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
Northwich, Cheshire, UK
I get intermittent problems connecting to my router using my G5 dual (maybe once every couple of weeks) - normally a quick "off then back on again" solves it (although I am using an old ASUS 900 netbook as a wireless bridge so it could be down to lots of things... :rolleyes:)

Wonder if my PRAM is battery is on it's way out too?! :confused:

rivettmj

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Having time issues on the machine can cause lots of interesting things to happen (in theory your clock should have been keeping valid time, but no "remembering" it when the computer was powered down)

Two issues that come to mind would be:

1. SSL based web sites will start throwing error messages (certificates would be outside of their validated data ranges)
2. possible network issues if you get an IP address via DHCP (your lease may have expired and some DHCP servers have "interesting" dependencies with lease time and machine local time)

smlorry

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
right,I've never had an issue with my 802.11/ac, but I don't DHCP.
zQyQew5

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
802.11ac WiFi is sometimes called "Gigabit WiFi", like 1000Mbps Ethernet is called Gigabit Ethernet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.