PowerMac G3 B&W Boot Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by msheldrick, Apr 26, 2008.

1. msheldrick macrumors regular

I'm trying to install Tiger on my B&W G3 but each time it boots from the cd it gets to the spinning wheel with the apple logo and just freezes, is there anything i can do? my Firmware is up to date. also if i need to reset anything like PRAM etc; can you please tell me how to

Thanks in Advance.

2. matt90 macrumors member

The same thing happened to me when I tried to install Panther on my G1 or G2 (whatever came with OS 8.6). At the time, I simply assumed that my system was just not up to scratch. But I have run Tiger on a G3 before. I have no idea what's happening.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Is it a retail Tiger disk (black) or is it a disk that was bundled with another Mac?

4. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

I Have the Black one and if it helps it is a Revision 2 Logic Board 450mhz G3 with 512MB RAM also trying to install panther has the same problem and i have reset the PRAM & NVRAM & Replaced the PRAM Battery but to no avail.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If the Tiger disk is a DVD (most are), is your optical drive a DVD or a CD?

6. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

I Have the Tiger CD's and it is a DVD-RAM Drive but i've tried multiple drives and no result i just have the frosen spinning wheel below the apple logo when it's trying to start the installer (I'm not upgrading from OS 9)

7. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

DVD-RAM Drive probably means its third party. I've had problems in the past getting some drives to boot Apple media. Do you have the original CD-ROM or DVD-ROM around, by chance? Or even another drive? You may have better luck with a different one.

8. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

the original drive had no difference at all unfortunately...

9. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

The original drive is for sure a DVD-ROM, just to make sure? A Tiger DVD won't boot from a CD-ROM for sure. Do you have any older media around, say a 10.3 CD or DVD? Is your disc scratched?

10. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

It's a DVD-RAM Drive and i Have the Tiger CD's and i've tried Panther both discs are spotless they are the retail copies and nothing works

and now the machine won't boot anymore

11. arranmc182 macrumors member

arranmc182

you will need to find some ware to download Mac os 9 then download the free updates from apple and upgrade it to 9.2.2 then download the latest firmware for you system i had the boot problem until i install the firmware now 10.4.11 works 100%:apple:

12. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

The G3 is now up in Mac Heaven, it started rebooting over and over after my little cousin got his hands on it :\ Ho Hum....

13. arranmc182 macrumors member

arranmc182

Try resetting the P-RAM by holding down Command Option P R keys at boot when you turn your computer on hold the keys down till your Mac re bongs ok that might help you out

14. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

15. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yeah Macquariums are cool, but I think it would be just a little touger with the OP's G3- but not impossible! Hmmmm....;)

Attached Files:

16. msheldrick thread starter macrumors regular

i just ended up putting the guts of a G4 in it