Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iThinkFan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
Hi,

I'm an Apple freak, and so I'm collecting old macs. I have got an old PowerMac G3 b&w/350 here, and because I don't own a desktop computer (I have a MacBook Pro), I'm frequently using it. Manufactured in 1998, it has only built in a CDROM drive, and of course, it's slow and loud.
I have got a DVD burner here, it's an LG GSA-4167B. It is not from a Mac, it's from an old PC. My questions:
- Does anyone know if that drive will work in my G3?
- I already tried putting it into my G3 and trying out if it works. I found that tutorial and followed it, but I wasn't able to get the power plug out of my old CDROM drive. Is there a trick in removing the cord? How can I remove it?

Thanks in advance,

iThinkFan

hansolo669

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
i find that to remove the power cord from the g3 b&w cd drive(i had one) you should, take a screwdriver and agenst each of the "tabs" on the connector push away using the cd drive as a pivit for your makshift screwdriver lever.:D

iThinkFan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
i find that to remove the power cord from the g3 b&w cd drive(i had one) you should, take a screwdriver and agenst each of the "tabs" on the connector push away using the cd drive as a pivit for your makshift screwdriver lever.:D

Thanks for the tip :D I didn't get the connector completely out that way, but suddenly the ODD tray started to move, so I pulled it a bit out to be able to plug out the connector with my fingers.
Then, I swapped the CD drive with my DVD burner and put it all together again. And YES - it's working.
So, now I have got a LG-GSA4167B working in my PowerMac G3 b&w 350MHz. It plays CDs, DVDs (yes, also movies from DVD, smoothly, it's working perfect), and it burns CDs. I didn't test if it also burns DVDs.
To get the burning functionality working, I had to use PatchBurn. After installing the profile and rebooting my G3, it worked.

So, yeah, my G3 is really cool now: It burns CDs (and, as I think, DVDs), it plays CDs and DVDs perfectly, it has 802.11g WiFi... the next upgrades will be USB 2.0 and OS X Tiger, I think ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.