PowerMac G3 (Beige)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacHappytjg, Jun 26, 2008.

1. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

I'm thinking about buying a PowerMac for my collection of macs, it has a 333mhz ppc g3 processer, 320mb of ram, 8gb harddrive, a usb card only 1.1, and a video card of course with a keyboard and mouse, also upgraded frontside bus from 66.? mhz to 88.3mhz hes wants atleast $40 and comes with jag cd's is it worth it and this is Canadian funds. And forgot cd and floppy

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Are you buying it for the sake of having it? If so, I'd recommend against that. Within a year (usually within a month), such objects are usually stowed away and never seen again. Waste of space and money, IMO.

3. BigYellow macrumors member

It depends what you're planning on using it for.

I'd recommend tracking down a Sonnet G4 ZIF upgrade for it, if you can find one for cheap enough... I had a beige G3 with a G4/500 upgrade in it and with that processor upgrade, it was very usable for email and web browsing. If I remember properly it had 100-BaseT ethernet, which was adequate for using as a server as well.

That being said, with any OS newer than Jaguar there are noticeable slowdowns when more than 2-3 apps are running at once.

For the price though, you can't go wrong.

I'd consider looking into a Blue&White G3 tower... Everything in terms of buses and whatnot is slightly faster than in the beige. Even first and second-gen g4 towers can be had for dirt cheap these days. Take a look on eBay, I've bought several used machines there and never had a problem

-Biggie!

4. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

yea u both convinced me as well as my mom :rolleyes:, so I'm probably going to save for a powermac g4 or something in that nature thanks for convincing me not to get it. But i was mainly getting it to add to my mac collection but to use it for something as well maybe a small server type thing.