Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TESEV

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
New Orleans, LA
I have a blue & white PowerMac G3 (350Mhz) that has suddenly decided that it doesn't want to start up. I push the power button on the keyboard or the case itself and it does not make a sound, as if it weren't plugged in (and yes, i checked all connections). This leads me to believe that the power supply may be to fault, but I don't know how to check. Suggestions?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'd try reseting it using the onboard button the logic board. It's a toggle right next to the PRAM battery. After that try booting it without the PRAM battery itself.

Does the power button light up?

TESEV

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
New Orleans, LA
I'd try reseting it using the onboard button the logic board. It's a toggle right next to the PRAM battery. After that try booting it without the PRAM battery itself.

Done. No effect.

Does the power button light up?

Nope, and it doesn't make the startup chime and I don't hear anything. As if it were unplugged.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
A view things you want to check..

Done. No effect.

Nope, and it doesn't make the startup chime and I don't hear anything. As if it were unplugged.

Hi,

first thing, check your power outlet. Check if someting else runs on it like your vaccum cleaner, maybe your powerbraker/Fuse is out.
Second, who was on your mac last time. Maybe someone runs a joke on you.
Check the power supply. Maybe there is a small fuse inside thats gone. (Did you have a lightning strike lately?)

Can you detect a burning smell close to the power supply once you open the mac?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Does the sleep light stay a solid green or orange?

Some older PowerBooks would get GLOD (Green Light Of Death, a pun off Blue Screen Of Death) which often meant that was the end of that PowerBook.

TESEV

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
New Orleans, LA
Hi, first thing, check your power outlet...

The monitor works fine. I've switched the plugs around and they all appear to work.

Maybe there is a small fuse inside thats gone. (Did you have a lightning strike lately?)

Um, does the power supply on the G3 have a fuse?

Can you detect a burning smell close to the power supply once you open the mac?

No, not really.

Does the sleep light stay a solid green or orange?
Some older PowerBooks would get GLOD...

Tis a PowerMAC... and no lights turn on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.