Powermac G3 outrigger (or is it gossamer? IDK) reinstall issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacPig, Nov 2, 2011.

1. MacPig macrumors newbie

Hi Guys
    I recently picked up a free powermac g3 outrigger and want to wipe the hard drive and install Mac OS 9.2.1. All was going well until I read in the readme file on the install disc that I had to turn off any non Apple published addons or plugins before an install would work. Foolishly however, I accidentally uninstalled the USB drivers for the USB card so:rolleyes: my usb mouse will now not work and my poor Mac is useless :(. I've looked all over and theres no other place I can see where a mouse could be plugged in. There's the place where the keyboard is connected but nowhere on the keyboard or elsewhere I cam see where you could plug in a mouse.
    Anyways, I need to wipe the HDD and do a full reinstall to get rid of the previous owner's stuff and make this Mac offically my own. :D However I am struggling; I put an install disc for 9.2.1 in and it recognizes it as there but when I restart it ignores the disk and boots like normal. I have tried holding the C key but to no avail. I am losing hope at the moment PLEASE help me!

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Probably the best way to do this is to put your install CD in the computer and choose it as your startup disc in the control panel. For that, it would be easiest with a mouse though. Honestly, with one of those you really should try and get your hands on an ADB keyboard and mouse rather than messing with USB. I've got one of those things, and while USB is usable its really just easier to get a nice ADB set of IO.

3. MacPig thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the ADB keyboard and mouse but there is only one port so I can only plug in the keyboard.

4. ftored macrumors regular

ftored

I think the mouse connects on the keyboard on those. Top right corner if i am correct. At least all of them that i ve had/used were like that:p

5. MacPig thread starter macrumors newbie

Sadly I think it is one that was an optional extra when bought so no joy there :( but I've heard there's a key combination for moving the cursor with the arrow keys. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

6. ftored macrumors regular

ftored

7. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Is it not an Apple keyboard? I've never seen an ADB Apple branded keyboard that didn't have additional ports for a mouse on it. The later Apple Design keyboard had one centered in the back, but all the rest have one on each side. Here's a pic of where it is one of my Design keyboards.

Attached Files: