Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I have an original G3 300mhz Powermac.

Now I know about an issue these have with the ATA controller when using 2 drives at the same time. But I also heard there is a hard drive limit and I want to put a new hard drive in it. What is that limit, is it 120GB? I was going to buy a 40GB to be sure and have it as the only drive.

Anybody want to clarify this for me?

Thank you in advance.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Low End Mac is a good site for this kind of info. According to them 128GB is the maximum size the onboard controller supports.

Be careful not to spend too much on that G3 - used G4 towers like the Sawtooth with much higher performance potential are pretty cheap these days.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I've had the thing ages, its only got a 6GB HD in it and I don't want to spend money on a new machine.

Sorry I didn't mention this but I don't want to buy the external sonnet controller card either.

But thanks for confirming the drive limit for me.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I put in a 200 GB Seagate drive and it only recognized the first 128 GB of HD space. Apparently the Powermac G3 doesn't have 48-bit addressing and of course one needs to modify the IDE port or use an additional program such as http://www.lowendmac.com/macdan/05/1024.html where this issue is mentioned.

Personally, the fact that the Powermac G3 can read any size of firewire HD external is big for me. That's more important indeed!

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Good page thanks for the fast queries as well guys. I'm having trouble playing video on the G3 and I was wondering if it was the rpm of the drive but now i think its to do with the 33mps bus speed.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
CrackedButter said:
Good page thanks for the fast queries as well guys. I'm having trouble playing video on the G3 and I was wondering if it was the rpm of the drive but now i think its to do with the 33mps bus speed.
If its an H.264 clip, then there's no way a 300MHz machine will handle it. Some videos just require substantial processing power to run smoothly.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
No they are simple .avi or .mpegs.

It seems to be a size issue this is why I thought the hard drive was the problem, feeding all the information and whatnot.

For example, I have some episodes of family guy and they play okay but something like stargate just stutters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.