PowerMac G3 Quicksilver won't load

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ConfusedMacUser, Aug 11, 2008.

1. ConfusedMacUser macrumors newbie

I have a power mac G3 which I have not used for sometime and over the last few days I have tried numerous times to turn it on to retrieve files, but O am having a problem the screen will turn on and the tower is receiving power as it is starting up and I am hearing the usual weiring sound but after a few second it dies.. and nothing!

I checked the cables are not loose at the back and I have tried opening the side and making sure nothing is loose and blowing out any dust but I still have had no sucess..

Does anyone have any suggestions... as to what I could try I am not the most technically minded so if you could dumb it down for me that would be great!!

Thanks in advance...

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

So which is it? A Powermac G3 or a Quicksilver?

3. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

thought the exact same thing when I saw the post

4. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I'm sure he means QuickSilver G4. Whether it's a B&W G3 or a QS G4 really makes no difference, however.

It sort of sounds like your PSU might be bad. The only other shot in the dark I can think of is resetting PRAM and NVRAM, but I sincerely doubt that would help. Always worth a try, however.

You do hear the normal Mac OS chime from ROM, and not a crashing sound?

5. ConfusedMacUser thread starter macrumors newbie

not G3 Quicksilver G4 sorry

Hi guys sorry I checked and it is actually a Quicksilver G4, tried again last night to load it and i got the mac chime this time then nothing, after trying repeatedly it did actually load once but then crashed and turned off again once I opened a folder to retrieve a document and would not come back on after that... is the general consensus as i feared that it is not easily fixable by myself..

thanks again

Sam

6. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

It sounds like you have a bad PSU, or possibly a bad hard drive. I'm actually now leaning more towards a bad hard drive since you got it to boot all the way.

Try booting from CD, and if that works, then you'll have a good idea.

7. BornAgain macrumors newbie

That sounds just like my G4 Quicksilver when I accidently damaged the PSU. It got worse and worse, sometimes it would boot up for 2-3 seconds then turn off again, then finally, nada. Expensive mistake on my part. Might be worth scouting Ebay or similar for spares or a G4 with a different problem.