Powermac G3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SirJ, Aug 20, 2008.

1. SirJ macrumors member

hey guys
    I've been lookin for a new computer since my old dell broke down a few months ago, and a teacher has told me she has a powermac G3 that she no longer uses.
    I have two questions about this.
    #1 - will this be ok for my uses? I'd be using it for web surfing, word processing, presentations etc. Also, will it be able to connect to my wireless network?
    #2 - how much would you be willing to pay? I'm thinking about maybe up to $50 if I can't get lower than that but I'd prefer to save money for when I buy a new mac next year. :cool:

Thanks for your help everyone.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Look on ebay for prices - do a search on completed listings and you'll have a good gage.

3. SirJ thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks. I will definitely do that.
    Does anyone have some input on the usefulness?

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The last Power Mac G3 was sold in 1999, the fastest Power Mac G3 was 450 MHz. In today's world with today's internet, there's no way it could keep up. Watching videos on YouTube is a no go and websites will be pretty slow due to the widespread use of flash (which is extremely processor intensive, too much for a PMG3 these days). You'll have to buy a wireless card for it as there is no AirPort slot so you'll need a wireless card to go into an expansion slot... which are pretty hard to find because a) the PMG3 is old and doesn't use PCI except for the graphics card and b) there aren't a whole lot of Mac compatible non-Apple wireless devices. The model in question supports the latest release of Tiger... but it will probably run too slow to really do much.

5. savvos macrumors regular

Yeah, the wireless card to hook it up to your network will probably cost more than the machine itself. If you are okay with buying a really long ethernet cable to hook it up, I'd say go for it around $50, but if you can't do that then pass. You'd be much better served buying a used Powerbook G4 for $150-$200.

6. SirJ thread starter macrumors member

wow, ok. That is rather decisive.
    I wouldn't go above 25 unless there is an airport card which might make 30 to 35, but one more question-word processing?
    Or would it be more effective to have my more IT-inclined friend take a look at my old computer?

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

The Power Mac G3 will be fine for word processing. :)

8. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

As long you keep it under $45 you have a great deal. You can upgrade the cpu very easily in the g3's and g4's. You have to consider though if you want to spend another $100 on it, to bump it up to something around 1 ghz. And then it will definitely suit your needs.

what are the current specs?