PowerMac G4 (2000) issue: No signal on monitor

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Aug 10, 2014.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I have a PowerMac G4 (450Mhz 2000 model). It has an issue which I believe could be a result of a dead PRAM battery, but I can't say for sure. If I turn on the PowerMac, my display will remain saying 'NO SIGNAL'. If I turn off my Mac, press the PMU(?) button that's next to the PRAM battery, on the motherboard, I end up getting a signal on the monitor. However, the fix is only per startup. So, if I were to power the machine off and then turn it on again, the same issue would rise and I would have to repeat the temporary fix again and again. So is this a result of a dead PRAM battery, or what? It seems odd that a dead PRAM batter would cause this. Normally a dead battery just doesn't keep the time and date once the computer shuts off. :confused:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you start it, fix the scree issues, then turn it off but don't cut it's power, does the problem remain?

3. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah. I can press the button on the mobo, next to the PRAM battery, and it will fix the issue, but once I shut the computer down, I have to use that fix method again. Simply shutting it down brings the problem back.