PowerMac G4 400mhz (PCI Graphics)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by owensky, Aug 26, 2013.

1. owensky macrumors member

Hello, Does anyone know the value of one of these computers? From what I understand from reading on everymac.com this computer was discontinued 2 weeks after it was released?

Thanks

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL! I have that exact same model sitting right next to me at work. We use it as an Applescript server and I have it running headless (without a video card).

In my own personal opinion I'd say it's worth about $30-50, but that's just because I've worked with it enough. It's capable of 1GB of ram, but unless you're running Photoshop 5 and Pagemaker 4 or something, using it as any kind of productive machine will be almost impossible with today's demands.

3. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Search Ebay for it. There is the possibility for searching for "ended auctions". The green ones were sold, the red ones were not.

I could tell you, that here you get 1-5EUR for it. Better idea: part it out.

Sell the 400MHz G4 ZIF CPU to a PowerMac G3 B&W owner as an Upgrade. One reason why G3-PowerPC owners upgrade the CPU is, that it allows for using higher versions of iTunes.
    (Ebay offers events - don't know the english counterpart - where you can start auctions with a starting bid higher than 1,-EUR free of fees. Maybe you have that too over there? CPU Price ranges from 1-15,-EUR here!)

Sell the Case (gutted out) for modding. Use keywords like: Hackintosh and case modding in the article title.
    (5,-EUR here, crazies pay 20,-EUR here)

Sell the ATI 128Rage PCI for people who want to add a second display, but have low demands. People also can use them to have a working monitor output, while flashing a PC-AGP card for Mac (which they would have to do blindly otherwise).
    1-7,-EUR.

You can put the other parts together in a package, or if you have time: put them all up seperately and sell them for 1EUR each (despite the optical drive, if it is still the old CD-Drive).

4. owensky thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. Seeing as they don't seem to be worth a lot I might just hang onto it for a while.

5. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

This is not true at all. Although iTunes 9 isn't supposed to work with a G3 processor, it does if you have a PowerMac. I tried it on a G3 B&W PowerMac and it worked flawlessly (I think you have to do a little of "hacking", though, but I'm not sure at all). However, it doesn't work on my iMac G3 450Mhz, although it's around twice as fast.

The big difference comes when you try AltiVec aware applications.

-------

I wouldn't NEVER sell a perfectly working Mac as parts. A G4 PowerMac costs around 40€ (53$) here, PCI version. I wish there's a way to find PowerMacs for less than 10$ each. It also should be easier to do (for example, there's plenty of ATI Rages 128 for Mac out there, it'll take months to someone to take yours instead of any of the other ones which are actually cheaper). In my experience, parts are much more difficult to sell than whole computers.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iTunes 9.1 is the last version to work on a G3. But some iTunes 9 features won't work, but everything else does. iTunes 9.2 requires a G4.

7. Magmadragoon macrumors newbie

powermac G4

I have the same exact computer got it for $20. I just use it for a recovery system for laptops.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

How? I mean what process or procedure do you use?

I ask because I've got a few Macs drawing power but doing nothing. If I can put them to work…

9. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I got same exact powermac. Now working as a file server/print server, DVD player duties. I have a small dvd rental shop, my dvd player went belly up, powermac G4 PCI gfx to the rescue.

10. Magmadragoon macrumors newbie

Procedures

Well I bought a 2.5" to 3.5" ide adaptor. Then I would hook it up to the powermac. Then when I need to reinstall Mac OS X or diagnosis a hard drive I can achieve much faster speeds than booting from the powerbook. Then once the system is installed and updated, I take the hard drive and put it back into the powerbook.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Oh, ok, gotcha!

Question though. Is there any concern about machine specific reinstalls? I ask this because here's what happened to me.

TiBook/400 dies in November 2009 so I get a 17" PowerBook in December 2009. I cloned the old drive from my TiBook/400 to the 17". Now, since that drive had been in the TiBook it's got none of the kext files or anything else that the 17" PowerBook needs to work properly. But as I'm not familiar with this Mac then I don't notice until later on that the Mac doesn't have backlighting on the keyboard like it's supposed to and that it behaves oddly and tends to run hot.

So I get Leopard in 2011 at some point and install it directly. Once updated, bam, I have backlighting and the Mac is running cooler. So, this confirms what I suspected.

So, wouldn't putting the drive in your PowerMac and reinstalling the OS just install drivers for the PowerMac and not the PowerBook that you ultimately would put the drive back in to? Or is that a concern at all?

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When installing Mac OS X, it installs all the drivers and kexts for every Mac that version of OS X can run on. For example, when installing 10.5.8 on a Cube, it installs the drivers for a 2008 Intell iMac allowing the 2008 iMac to boot from the Cube's hard drive. Yes, Intell Macs can boot from an APM drive. They just don't run as fast when doing it though. The only way your 17" Powerbook would have problems is if it carried over some settings or if it was running a version of OS X that was too old for it. The settings that store information about the backlight keyboard and fan are stored in the ByHost folder and are limited to working on only machines with matching MAC addresses.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK, thanks for the info!

As I understand it, 10.2.3 was the first version this model (1.0Ghz) can run. The version I cloned in 2009 was 10.4.11. Maybe there was some other glitches, I don't know but all I know is that things started working properly (it seemed) once I installed Leopard.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

10.4.11 can run on all PowerPC G3+ Macs. Every G3, G4, and G5. Some of the early G3's maybe need some forcing, but it'll run. Not sure why it gave you problems with that machine.

15. Magmadragoon macrumors newbie

Mac os x

A little trick I found out when working on my powerbook is that Mac OS X only works if the system is made for that version number or higher. Anything lower will cause boot up problems. For example 10.4.1 Tiger does not work on my 1.67 GHz powerbook because it initially came with 10.4.2.