Powermac G4 733Hz DA- What faster OEM Apple processors are compatible?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TheScavenger, Oct 20, 2008.

1. TheScavenger macrumors 6502

TheScavenger

I just bought a G4 Digital Audio last night and was wondering what faster OEM Apple processors are compatible with my logic board. For instance, can I install dual 867Mhz's or a single 1.0GHz in my DA? Since my system runs at a 133MHz bus speed do I have to stick with 133MHz bus speed processors?

Thanks a lot!

2. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

If you want to do a simple drop-in upgrade then 733 MHz is about as high as you can go. The DA did have an optional dual 533 MHz processor at the time.

However, the DA and QuickSilver PowerMacs are very similar. It is theoretically possible to install and use a processor from a QuickSilver. The challenge is the QS provided a direct 12V connection to the processor's daughter card through a conducting screw. The DA doesn't have this so you would most likely have to rig a 12V connection from a Molex connector. Also, my mind is a little fuzzy on this one, but I think there would also be an issue of the DA logic board not being able to see the L3 cache from the QS processor. The speeds of the QS were 733 (no L3 cache), 800, 800 x2, 867, 933, and 1.0 x2. Nothing from the MDD Macs would work in the DA.

If you want to look at the after market side of things, the G4 upgrades based on the 7455 processor are almost exactly the same as the OEM processors. They don't clock up as high as the 7447/7448 cards (only 1.4GHz compared to 1.8-2.0GHz), but they have the 2MB L3 cache, which makes a big difference. Plus with the 7455 upgrades there is usually no firmware flash required.

3. TheScavenger thread starter macrumors 6502

TheScavenger

Thanks a lot for the response. SOunds like if I wanted to upgrade to a quick OEM processor I might need to replace the logic board as well.

I'll look into an aftermarket upgrade :)

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Just checking in with my $.02. I've had several upgrade processors before, and still use one now in an AGP G4, a model just below yours. It has a 1Ghz Sonnet cpu in it and I've had zero problems with it. It benchmarks about the same as a native 933 QS PowerMac.

5. TheScavenger thread starter macrumors 6502

TheScavenger

Thanks for the input, jodelli. I am looking at a Sonnet 1.4GHz and a Sonnet 1.0GHz right now.