Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leodime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Ok, so I'm desperately wanting to leave the Windows world and get myself a Mac. And when I say I'm desperate, I'm DESPERATE. I can't take it any longer, the errors, the slowness, the crashing, OH, THE AG-OH-NEEEEE!!! So I figured the quickest way out is to get myself a PowerMac G4 and upgrade it to the max as I get more money later on. So I had my eye on a $260 PowerMac G4 from GainSaver but I'm kind of skeptic from reading a post on here from 2006 that said that they were a shady company. I've been earning the money for the PowerMac via AdSense and my 30-year old sister might be sending me a $100 Visa card so that's a major plus. So should I keep my sights on the PowerMac G4 from GainSaver or should I turn away and visit another online shop? The more money I have to spend on it, the longer I have to stay in Windows land so keep that in mind. I really need you guys on this one. Any help is appreciated.

MSD401

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
check out the marketplace here... and craiglists (if you can avoid scams) lots of good entry macs.... i think the is at least one or two current powermac thread's in the marketplace now.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
They have pretty poor ratings on resellerratings.com. Mainly faulty merchandise and advertising products as available that are not.

I would go for a reputable ebay seller. I never had problems with any of them when getting older computers. Just use common sense and don't go for the Macbook Pro G5 $200 type of deals.

If you want to see what a decent online reseller sells at look at http://www.powermax.com. I would stick with ebay or craigslist though because stores that resell used Macs gouge you with the prices. They seem to think this is still the 90's where you had to look in Macworld magazine to find used Macs.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
I've read a number of comments here and elsewhere regarding Gainsaver, and from those comments, I would suggest you avoid them. My $0.02.

RomoUa7

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2015
Ok, so I'm desperately wanting to leave the Windows world and get myself a Mac. And when I say I'm desperate, I'm DESPERATE. I can't take it any longer, the errors, the slowness, the crashing, OH, THE AG-OH-NEEEEE!!! So I figured the quickest way out is to get myself a PowerMac G4 and upgrade it to the max as I get more money later on. So I had my eye on a $260 PowerMac G4 from GainSaver but I'm kind of skeptic from reading a post on here from 2006 that said that they were a shady company. I've been earning the money for the PowerMac via AdSense and my 30-year old sister might be sending me a $100 Visa card so that's a major plus. So should I keep my sights on the PowerMac G4 from GainSaver or should I turn away and visit another online shop? The more money I have to spend on it, the longer I have to stay in Windows land so keep that in mind. I really need you guys on this one. Any help is appreciated.

NOOOOO dont buy i been researching gainsaver dont sound Lagit.........keep saving ur money....if ur going too buy a mac on line get ready to take ur chances....i was going to do the age old mistake..i was looking to trade my brand new macbook pro 13" mid 2012 i bought it at best buy for $1104 something like that....reason why i wanted too trade it cuz this make and year cant run snow leopard,which i wanted.......the one of many that do is the macboo pro 15" 2009 and mine being new and gainsavers.com used i figure they may trade..But id figure i do reseach first,and fair enough,Bad news,people got scamed suckerd and gainsaver.com comes up with excuses not to refund..and if you hear a good post might be a person representing the company gainsaver,so be careful.i may have too just buy one on amazon.com cuz i bought mant things from thereb.They are Legit but you are taking ur chances inthe way of what you might recieve from there like a 50/50 chance of good or not good....oh yeah you will recieve ur product but the condition who knows.my macbook pro i just bought in 8-21-15 its now 10-12-15.glad i did not trade.....better yet i will just buy a second computer an imac to have at home.:apple:

Last edited by a moderator:

RomoUa7

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2015
I've read a number of comments here and elsewhere regarding Gainsaver, and from those comments, I would suggest you avoid them. My $0.02.

well i'll take ur 2cents advice thanks and many other post i been reading:apple:

Last edited by a moderator:

RomoUa7

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2015
Lol yeah I know just thought I'd give it a shot.since I was looking into buying an imac on gainsaver.com. But luckily to viewing these trends I'm not going with gainsaver.com

Clairh13

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2015
Lol yeah I know just thought I'd give it a shot.since I was looking into buying an imac on gainsaver.com. But luckily to viewing these trends I'm not going with gainsaver.com
I have used Gainsaver for years and haven't had any problems. I've purchase at least 5 computers.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
Do not buy a G4 machine

OK, wanted to post the above first.
G4 is a very very outdated machine. I believe the G4 Mac Mini was introduced in 2005. The newest OS it can run is 10.6 Snow Leopard and is not compatible with anything newer. The only thing you will be able to upgrade is RAM and hard drive to something newer PATA IDE drive.

For that kind of money you can easily get a 2009 or maybe even 2010 Mac Mini.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
OK, wanted to post the above first.
G4 is a very very outdated machine. I believe the G4 Mac Mini was introduced in 2005. The newest OS it can run is 10.6 Snow Leopard and is not compatible with anything newer. The only thing you will be able to upgrade is RAM and hard drive to something newer PATA IDE drive.

For that kind of money you can easily get a 2009 or maybe even 2010 Mac Mini.
The post talking about buying a G4 is 7 years old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.