PowerMac G4 Crashing/Locking Up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TDPHunter, Jun 2, 2007.

1. TDPHunter macrumors member

TDPHunter

Hi There,

I have a PowerPC G4 that I inherited from a cousin of mine and just recently it has started locking up at random. Either while I am listening to Itunes, Talking on Ventrillo, or even checking mail or playing a game.

For example, Ill be surfing the web and listening to music. Suddenly the music stops. I move my mouse to click on Itunes but I can't click on it or anything else. The system Locks up and I don't have access to anything.

Now my system specs are:

Machine Name: Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
    Machine Model: PowerMac3,1
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.9)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 500 MHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 100 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.2.8f1

(HardDrive)
    Maxtor 4G120J6:

Capacity: 114.5 GB
    Model: Maxtor 4G120J6
    Revision: GAK819K0
    Serial Number: G603212E

Ram:

DIMM0/J21:

Size: 512 MB
    Type: SDRAM
    Speed: PC100-222S

DIMM1/J22:

Speed: PC100-222S

DIMM2/J23:

Speed: PC133-333

DIMM3/J24:

Speed: PC133-333

Drive:

SONY CD-RW CRX170E:

Capacity: 712.83 MB
    Model: SONY CD-RW CRX170E
    Revision: 2.2d

Now If there is anymore information needed, just let me know. I have heard that disk drives can cause some G4's to lock up. Such as a Samsung or Pioneer I think. Anyway, if someone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the maximum RAM a G4 AGP tower could take was 1.5 GB. Does the system see all 2GB of it? It might be a RAM issue, I mean it won't hurt to take out all but one stick of memory and see if that helps.

Did you recently install or upgrade any software or hardware? Also do you have free space on your hard drive? If you have little to no space available the computer may start acting funny.

You may also want to try a scan to make sure all of your components are ok, including the RAM and more in case it's not the RAM. Tech Tool Pro can do this (sometimes this program is included on an AppleCare disc) or maybe you can try and find an Apple Power Macintosh G4 Hardware Test disc. Also if you can (if the computer doesn't freeze up) try opening Disk Utility (Under 'Utilities' in the 'Applications' folder) and click "Repair Permissions", sometimes that fixes some funky issues.

Best of luck! :D

3. TDPHunter thread starter macrumors member

TDPHunter

Well, the system does see all 2G of Ram. If it didn't I would of removed it.

I did install 1 GB of memory a few months ago but the locking up did start before that.

I have also installed several different types of software, they would include:

Adium
    aMSN
    AOL Radio
    Assignment Planner
    Cha-Ching
    Chat Transcript Manager
    CoverSutra
    Cypher
    DivX Converter/Player
    FireFox
    Gmail Notifier
    Google Earth
    IHMC CmapTools
    iPulse
    iSquint
    PCalC
    Mac Pilot
    Soulver
    World of Warcraft
    Starcraft
    Warcraft III and FT Expansion
    Starcraft Installer for OSX
    CandyBar
    Shapeshifter

I will give Tech Tool Pro, I have also repaired the permissions on the disk and have verified the disk. I did come up with a lot of errors and I repaired them. However I have a Invalid Leaflet? Which means there is a problem with the directory and I'm going to have to format. But, I doubt that would cause the problem that I am having.

So, I will scan my components and Ill get back to you. Thank you for the advice!

4. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Actually, that is probably very well what may be causing the problem. Hard drive problems would probably cause crashing, stalling, or freezing up. I suggest if you can, remove the hard drive, install a different one and do a clean install of Mac OS X to see if that solves the problem - if it does and the computer runs fine that means it was the hard drive all along.

A drive repair program or a clean format may help you, however if it's a physical problem (which it might be since I'm guessing the drive is as old as the computer) it may be time to get a new Hard Drive. Remember without an add-on ATA 133 PCI card you can not easily have a hard drive with more than 120 GB accessible. :D

5. Angrist macrumors 6502

I had a very similar problem with my G4 DA PM.

The system would randomly hang, mouse active but anything i clicked would freeze. Reboots didn't always see the HD correctly, or at all. Completely intermittent.

I finally tracked it down to a HD that wouldn't spin up. Swapped HDs, swapped controller cards, the drives still wouldn't spin up correctly.
    Turned out to be a flakey MOLEX splitter :rolleyes:

So ... I'd suspect that you've got a HD / power issue.

6. TDPHunter thread starter macrumors member

TDPHunter

Hmm I thought the Invalid Leaf would only cause file loss instead of a lockup.
    Anyway, the drive is also getting old, I guess I can only assume that the hardware is starting to Die. Good thing I do have another G4 with a 20GB hardrive in it. I could swap it out and then while my 120GB is being reformatted and having OSX installed I can make do.

Would it be recommeneded to thave the OS on the 20GB and have file storage on the 120GB? That is, if the 120GB is in good working order after I have done a clean install.

Also, Angrist, I am not having any problems reading the drive. My computer boots fine. But I am having that freeze that your talking about. Now, I am fairly good with computers and hardware, but what is a Molex splitter?

(Ill be doing research on it too btw)
    Ah, I feel silly now, it's the power cord. Sould of known by the way you were talking about a power problem.

And thanks for helping out!

7. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I think he might be referring to a cable that splits an internal power cable, in other words a Y adapter, letting one power connection power two devices. Or at least that's what I got from it. :)