Powermac G4 DA Digital Audio Output?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MagnusVonMagnum, Aug 2, 2009.

1. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

What kind of output does the PowerMac G4 Digital Audio have out of its pro speaker output jack? If I connected a 2.5mm -> RCA adapter(s) to it, would a receiver be able to use its digital output (i.e. is it standard spdif?). Basically, I'd like to hear my DTS music albums in my den instead of static in Airtunes mode (my other rooms with AppleTV, Airport Express, etc. are connected to DTS comaptible equipment). Perian can convert DTS to stereo, but only if it's sent the signal and knows it's DTS. The fact the DTS music CDs are "pretending" to be Redbook PCM audio means all I'll ever get is static (short of someone providing some software solution). But digital output to a receiver would decode it like all the other rooms. But will it work?

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

There's also a standard headphone jack on it. I'd use that.

3. MagnusVonMagnum thread starter macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

The headphone jack is what I'm using with my Klipsch Pro 2.1 speakers. But if a DTS Music CD is played in iTunes, I only get static (whereas digital out through a receiver or other decoder first would give me actual music like on my AppleTV and Airport Express units that are connected to receivers) and thus the reason I asked. If something like Perian could intercept the signal and decode it to stereo, I wouldn't need a solution, but iTunes neither talks directly to Perian nor is there any way for Perian to know that a PCM audio signal is DTS as it does not anaylize the signal but look for the program to tell it that it's DTS. As it is, I cannot play those albums in that room with iTunes or I get static.

From what I've found in other threads (I keep looking), the pro speaker out jack on this model is indeed a digital output but it's also amplified by 20 watts (so the Pro Speakers don't have to provide their own amplifier, which seems goofy as the speakers could have included the amplifier and the computer could have just used a standard S/PDIF or Toslink jack. So I guess the new question is whether there's an adapter that will convert the amplified output to a standard S/PDIF signal. I've seen adapters (with amplifiers) that were made to make those speakers work with other Macs, but I need the opposite...a way to make the output jack put out standard S/PDIF.

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I'm not sure there is one of those. Take a look around an electronics store and see if you can find one.