Powermac g4 don't boot please help me !!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Applebegginer, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Applebegginer macrumors newbie

Hi all member of mac rumors my name is mike and i'm new in this site
    well i have over 2 years with my hp dv6000 ,4 months ago i found in a (yard sale) a power mac g4 350mhz for $10 quicksilver so i bought it because i thought the price is cheap since that day it was sitting in my closet ,i have a kid he is 2 years old and he loves play games and do paint so today i went to buy a CRT monitor i connect it for the first time the computer for my lucky this computer has a 40gb ad 512mb but i found the has installed mac ox operating system,first when i have a virus in my pc or is running slow what i do is i format the hardrive and install a new windows and everything is clean and running smooth ,this computer is running critical slow and sometimes won't let me do nothing keeps frezze like right now show me only the picture background and nothing else ,i have copy 9.2.1 and 9.2.0 also i have 10.1.4

if someone can help me how can i format the Hardrive and install a new operating system thanks so much and i ope i can fix it thanks.:):):):):)

if you guys need i can make a video clip about the problem .

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Wow, puntuation ftw :p

If you want to Zero the drive and put on a new OS:

start up your computer with the install disk in it, and immediatly press and hold the Alt key.
    Keep it held until you see two options on your screen. Select the OS Disc, and then the continue arrow. After a few minutes, you'll be greeted with the install screen for your OS. Follow the steps, and under Install Options, there is an option for Erase and Install. The rest you should be able to work out.

I can only speak for 10.X. I haven't tried this on 10.9... Sorry.

3. Applebegginer thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi thansk for your answer but i already did i press the alt but i won't show me no option also show me a message on the screen

you must restart your computer by pressing the power button for a few seconds or for the restart button this message show me is 4 different languages but when i press the power button nothing happend i have to press reset to restart the computer again i already try holding pressing the key alt but nothing happend.

4. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Ah, is the message like white text on a gray sceen, with a picture of on power symbol on top? If so, thats a kernel panic, which can be a whole different kettle of fish, and is probably hardware related unfortuanetly....

5. Applebegginer thread starter macrumors newbie

yes it has a symbol like power and the text is white white grey how can i fix it thanks .

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yep, like Cerebrus' Maw said that sounds like a kernal panic. Here is a link to kernal panics and solutions on the Apple site so you can see if that is what you have (as they have it pictured) and possible ways to deal with it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1392