PowerMac G4 FW800 2nd hard drive install troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by applegeek13, Dec 30, 2009.

1. applegeek13 macrumors regular

I bought a brand new Seagate 400Gb hard drive for my PowerMac G4 MDD FW800. I installed it in the back bay, as a slave drive. When I power on the Mac, I get a blank grey screen. The original hard drive with OS 10.4.11 is set as the master, so I don't know why it won't boot properly. I've checked for bent pins, and I don't see any obvious ones, so I'm completely confuzzled. Any ideas???

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

"I bought a brand new Seagate 400Gb hard drive for my PowerMac G4 MDD FW800. I installed it in the back bay, as a slave drive. When I power on the Mac, I get a blank grey screen. The original hard drive with OS 10.4.11 is set as the master, so I don't know why it won't boot properly. I've checked for bent pins, and I don't see any obvious ones, so I'm completely confuzzled. Any ideas???"

A few things you might try:
    1. Temporarily disconnect your OLD (original) hard drive, leaving only the new one connected. Then (assuming you have one) boot from an install CD/DVD. See if you can get booted up that way, and if - once booted - you can access the new HD using Disk Utility on the install CD. Can it be initialized?

2. Not sure if this would be physically possible, but you could also try connecting the NEW hard drive through the CD/DVD connecting cable on the g4, just to see what happens when it's mounted on a different internal bus.

3. If that doesn't work, you might try getting something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119152
    ....then, connect and initialize the drive OUTSIDE of the g4, and afterwards try "moving it back inside" as an already-initialized drive.