PowerMac G4-Graphics Customization

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by froggytreafrogg, May 31, 2009.

1. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Hi, I own a PowerMac G4 with a 933 mHz processor. Installed is the standard Apple graphics card with the VGA and ADC port. What I'm interested in, is attaching two VGA monitors to the computer to get dual-display. However, I'm trying to avoid purchasing an apple ADC monitor. Is there any way I can just change, add, alter, or whatever to the graphics card in order to install two VGA monitors to achieve dual-display. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. :apple:

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if its a 933MHz G4, im guessing its a 2002 QS model (M8666LL/A)?? you will have to purchase either an ATI Radeon 7500, NVidia GeForce4 MX, or GeForce 4Ti (it comes stock with a 7500 i think).

these cards will have to be "mac" certified, otherwise they will need to be flashed in order to work (which is quite hard to do apparently).

ebay will most likely find these GPUs for you :)

there shold be room to attach another graphics card (i think, never seen one), if there isnt - you will have to find a GPU that has dual VGA slots.

3. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Hi thanks for the reply. if i purchase a graphics card that is mac certified, am i adding the graphics card in addition to the stock graphics card? Or am i removing the stock and replacing it with the mac certified. Out of wonder, do you know about how much a mac-compatible dual-VGA GFX card would run me? Oh, and yes it is the 2002. Thanks again.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Your card should be able to handle dual displays natively. All you'll need is an ADC to VGA adaptor, which you should be able to find cheaply on eBay.

5. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Oh wow, that makes things so much easier. i didn't even think to look for such and thing. thanks a bunch.