PowerMac G4 Help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by FigBird, Aug 29, 2013.

1. FigBird macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

I'm new to Mac's so please be patient with me! LOL

I was given a free (old) PowerMac G4 by a company I was working for which has everything included apart from the hard-drive and installation disk.

Basically, I have put in a new Harddrive but when I load up the Mac, I get a blank Apple folder with a flashing question mark.

I assume that I need to reinstall Mac Osx (or previous versions) but I do not have the installation disk.
    To get myself up and running, do I just need to buy a disk from Apple or is it more complicated than that?

Many thanks

2. tampasteve macrumors 6502

You will either need to get a "retail" version (black disk) of whatever OS X you desire or a non-retail machine specific version (grey disk) of the version OS X you desire. Alternatively there are people on Ebay that sell hard drives loaded with different versions of OS X that were pulled from working machines. These are usually cheaper than buying a retail version of OS X for a PowerPC machine, which is surprisingly expensive still.

Your best bet on that machine will be OS X 10.4.11 or 10.5.8 (Tiger or Leopard). I have used both on the PowerMac G4 and they work well.

There are less above the board ways to get the software too, but we do not talk about those....

3. FigBird thread starter macrumors newbie