PowerMac G4 how much memory? 4gigs or 2?

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
How much memory can my friend put in his G4 PowerMac? I came with 256mb and 80gig harddrive and a combo drive. He bought it in July 2004 right when the G5s were coming out.

Can he put four gigs of memory in this or, as the instructions say, is he limited to two gigs in the four slots? Thanks!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
California said:
How much memory can my friend put in his G4 PowerMac? I came with 256mb and 80gig harddrive and a combo drive. He bought it in July 2004 right when the G5s were coming out.

Can he put four gigs of memory in this or, as the instructions say, is he limited to two gigs in the four slots? Thanks!
So it's an MDD model?

2GB max.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
And he may spend some time replacing DIMMs in the closest slot. I have a friend with one of those, and they put the first (or last, depending on perspective) slot right next to the heat sink. He's killed three different sticks...

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
iGary said:
So it's an MDD model?

2GB max.
Yes, but there are four memory slots. I don't understand -- what if he put four 1gig sticks in these four slots?

COuld it be that there were no such thing as 1 gig sticks when the computers were made?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
California said:
So he could put in four 512s with no problem?
Yes -- I haven't run into any problems with that -- the earlier poster's buddy -- dunno what's going on there about RAM in the nearest socket to the CPU failing -- unless it's an issue with heat associated with overclocking and/or improperly assembled CPU heatsink... ?.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
California said:
Yes, but there are four memory slots. I don't understand -- what if he put four 1gig sticks in these four slots?

COuld it be that there were no such thing as 1 gig sticks when the computers were made?

no, it wont work. the motherboard can only support 2 gigs of ram, any more and you will have yourself a nice possible problems or most likely it just wont recognize it. there is no way to exceed this either