macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
QCassidy352 said:
This is a single processor 1.25 Ghz MDD powermac G4, the computer that was released along with the first G5s to give buyers an OS 9 bootable option. I want to make it wireless, but I can't figure out if I need an airport extreme card or an old airport card. The reason I'm confused is this:
extreme? (note footnote A)
or regular? (note that the FW 800 G4, which this is not, is the only one listed)

Can anyone please answer this definitively?
I think this is the one that my friend has. Look it up on everymac.com

Somehow I think it takes the old card.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
Easy enough...

If it is OS 9 Bootable, it takes the old card.

There were never drivers for an AE in OS 9, so thats a sure fire way to tell... Also, you can tell by the pins on the Airport connector. An Airport card slot appears like a standard 16bit PCMCIA card. An Airport Extreme card is much smaller, and looks like a short SO-Dimm connecter.

But again, if you know its OS 9 bootable, its a done deal... original Airport card.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
thanks, RGunner. It is definitely OS 9 bootable, so i guess it's the old one. :( Those go for a lot more these days...

Faraday

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2004
Melbourne Australia
Airport or Airport Express ?

Easy way to tell.

If it has a FW800 port on the back, it will use Airport Extreme

If it does not have a FW800 port, it will use regular Airport.

Joeycapucino

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
Henderson, NV
Airport card for Power Mac G4 MDD

Hi,

I have a 1.25 Power Mac G4 and have installed the older Airport Card. It shows up in the system profile, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it connect with my Airport extreme basestation. It doesn't see it.

Can't figure it out ... any luck on your end?

Thanks,
Joey

Joeycapucino

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2006
Henderson, NV
MDD 1.25 Airport/Airport Extreme Card puzzle

Hi there ... As this is after the fact ... sorry ... maybe you can help me!

I'm in the same spot, although I purchased the older airport card which fits in the avaliable slot, and shows up in the system profiler fine. Although I am having trouble making it work with my Airport Extreme Basestation. I have also read in my research that you could get the extreme card as a custom order through Apple ... and I also saw a G4933 on ebay with the airport extreme card in it. So, i think it is possible. I am going to try to find out what the deal is with Apple, as the airport card works at a slower bps rate - I think 11bps, and the airport extreme gets 54bps ... here is the link:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/PowerMacG4/3Input-Output/chapter_4_section_7.html

Let me know how you fare ...

Joey