Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Chicago
Hiya everyone,

So I finally pulled my old, very dead, Powermac Dual G4 MDD out of the closet. I like the case design so much that I would like to keep it around if possible. Only thing is I'm not sure what I can do with it. Plant pot, aquarium, lamp, etc... Any ideas of what this thing can become in it's afterlife?

~ Mr.T

Attachments

• g4_powermac-new.jpg
    g4_powermac-new.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,037

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I'm pretty sure you can get quite a bit of money for that actually, as an empty case, faulty or sold as spares in multiple items. The power supply alone is worth a good deal I think. Apple cases sell for a premium because Windows Haxxors like the look of them and like to build PCs into them.

Mr_T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Chicago
Hmmmm... the beer server sounds like a good idea. It might come in handy for parties (sangria one day, beer the next, maybe hot cider in the fall). My location is out of date though, I'm in Boston now, not Chicago. :)

Spanky Deluxe said:
I'm pretty sure you can get quite a bit of money for that actually, as an empty case, faulty or sold as spares in multiple items

I never thought that I could sell it. I just went to small dog and they are selling a couple for 50 bucks. Unfortunately the powersupply may be at fault with this unit. It's either the powersupply or the motherboard, and there's no way i'm putting more money into this thing to figure out which one it is.

No, I'm definitely going to keep this puppy and convert it into something...

Anyone else have any cool ideas? I promise to post pics after I'm done.

~ Mr.T

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
JDN said:
http://www.ifixit.com sells all sorts of mac stuff. You could build up a new computer and sell it as 'custom built' or you could build the first 500GB iPod hybrid type thing. Even have a mini screen on it. And then have outputs for tv/hifi.

HAHA! Imagine if you could somehow make a RAID level 0 array in the thing, and have the ipod recognize it as one giant drive!

MegaPOD. Put a car battery in it to run it.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
I love the look of those more than any other mac. Maybe someday I'll pick one up for a semi reasonable price. $1000 not a chance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.