Powermac G4 MDD Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gibbo132, Jan 22, 2010.

1. gibbo132 macrumors regular

Im about to buy a MDD G4 as a media server/centre and I want to upgrade the Graphics Card so i can get Core Image running on it for Leopard. (I know Leopard will install, but im right in thinking it wont be running as well as it could be when using front row??? Or will front row run fine with the standard GC in a MDD?) If i do have to upgrade the card then im interested in Flashing a PC one, will this "Best Value Inno3D nVidia GeForce FX5200 256MB AGP DVI-I VO" of Dabs be suitable for flashing and putting in a MDD?

Thanks Chris :apple:

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I haven't looked into cards for the MDD models lately, but I would highly suggest you stay away from the FX5200 line of cards. Hell, avoid the Nvidia FX5xxx line all together. If you can find a Nvidia 6200 that'll do the job well, as well as Radeon 9600 or 9800 line.

Of course, check on the various flashing sites to make sure you buy a card that is supported in the MDD G4's.

3. gibbo132 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks, sorry to be awkward could you give me the links to some of these sites? Will the standard GC not run FrontRow well then? Also do you think its a good idea using this as a media server/centre? I wont be using HD content (thats why i have a PS3 right?) It will just be for a elgato SD TV Stick, iTunes Tv Shows, Movies and DVDs :)

Thanks Chris :)

4. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Do what I do...

Get the G4 (or even a G5 prices are pretty close). Max out your storage options and then get a AppleTV.

I love my G4 but I think you're setting yourself up for a poor user experience. Comparatively the G4 can be termed 'loud' with the fans running, there are the graphics limitations (not even sure if core video works on mine:rolleyes:). HD is highly limited as far as processor power within iTunes.

As for me my Dual 1.25Ghz MMD serves primarily as my iTunes backup and server to two AppleTV's through the house and two AirPort Express via AirTunes. The AppleTV's are extremely quiet and perform extremely well. I would certainly recommend a setup similar to that, you will just not get a great experience from the MMD and Frontrow.

5. gibbo132 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok cool, I think that is a good solution for the future, right know I can only afford the G4 and to max it out! Although I like the Apple TV I don't like not having the PVR function in it and that really puts me off. Maybe i should have the G4 running primarily as a server and then in the future get a used Intel Mini for the Front end of my system. But does Front Row Run on you g4 even if its not very well?

6. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Yeah, front row should run as long as you have 10.5 installed.

There isn't a IR so you'll be using a bluetooth keyboard? Anyway, let us know how it's working.

7. gibbo132 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I will either use my iPod touch to control it there is a great app I have that looks like the apple remote or there is a company called Twisted Mellon that makes a IR receiver for it.

I am still waiting for parts to arrive and then I can install 10.5 :D