Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drnebulous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Salford, UK
My Powermac G4 MDD has worked fine, but now after the white apple boot screen (the one with the grey apple logo), the screen suddenly goes black. I have tried resetting the PRAM (cmd-alt-p-r), but this doesn't work. I don't understand why this is happening.

The Specs:
Powermac G4 MDD
Dual 867MHz CPU
512MB RAM
2x 1TB Hard Drives

I really need this to work! Please help!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Right after hearing the startup chime, press and hole the shift key until you see the blue screen or you see it say Safe Boot.

drnebulous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Salford, UK
It's the second hard drive.

When I unplug it the computer boots in 7 seconds!

When it is plugged in, it either does the black screen thing or has the ? at boot up.

But I really need the second hard drive.

The are both Sata hard drives.

This is what I do:
Sata HD > Sata to sata extension cable > Sata to IDE adapter

Even though it is sata, do you think I need a jumper as it is sort of ide? If so, where do I put it?

The hard drives are both Western Digital SE 1TB

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The IDE/PATA adapter may need to have a jumper set on it. Are both drives plugged into the same cable?

drnebulous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Salford, UK
Yes they are.

Here are some photos (sorry about the messy wiring!)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 198

drnebulous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Salford, UK

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That adapter doesn't appear to have a master/slave jumper or switch on it. Have you looked into use a PCI SATA card instead?

drnebulous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Salford, UK
That adapter doesn't appear to have a master/slave jumper or switch on it. Have you looked into use a PCI SATA card instead?

After this load of hell, yes, I would love a sata PCI card. Which one would work? I live in the UK by the way. I would like to keep it under £20 but if that isn't possible then whatever the cheapest would do.

drnebulous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
Salford, UK

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
Here's what I found - working with a dual 1.25 GHz MDD and a 20" aluminum ACD (with DVI).

The machine boots as normal up through the screen with the gray apple logo and spinner. After that, it cuts to black and stays there.

If I hook the machine up to another monitor via VGA, it all works fine.

Now I have another problem, which is to figure out why this machine can't see the disk I put in there...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.