Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
Hello,

I own a PowerMac G4 desktop since 2002 and recently for the past 3 months now, the system's power button died out on me THREE times in a row including tonight.

So I had to reset the PRAM button inside the machine to restart it.

Is it a sign that the machine is dying out or that I'm to replace it soon? Will using the PRAM reset button everytime the power button is 'dead' cause more harm in the long (or short) run?

Thanks,

-Adam

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I'm not for sure about the G4, but the B&W G3 has both a PMU reset and power button on the logicboard. I don't think powering it up using that will cause any harm. You might just pick up an older USB Mac keyboard with the power button on it. Otherwise replace the button on the front of the mac?

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
I'm not for sure about the G4, but the B&W G3 has both a PMU reset and power button on the logicboard. I don't think powering it up using that will cause any harm. You might just pick up an older USB Mac keyboard with the power button on it. Otherwise replace the button on the front of the mac?

I meant the PMU button, not PRAM. Oops :).

Well, the power button on the front doe'snt turn on when I press it. It's now working okay for the time being. But it has 'died out' on me three times so I had to use the PMU button to revive it.

I just was'nt sure if this was actually a sign the machine is wearing out and about to crap out on me permanently in the near future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.