Powermac G4 Questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by thesaz123, Dec 4, 2013.

1. thesaz123 macrumors member

Tonight a friend gave me a Powermac G4 AGP he had acquired a few months before, but never found a use for it. When I got it home, i booted it up, and checked the specs. The "About this Mac" info screen (picture should be attached to the post), reads "Dual 1.6GHz PowerPC G4", System Profiler reads the same information... I know that would be an aftermarket upgrade card, but my question is: is the upgrade worth anything on eBay? I'm planning on selling all the internal parts on eBay, and modding the case for standard ATX parts.

Attached Files:

2. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Well if it really is Dual 1.6GHz and not some kind of system / openfirmware error then I'm pretty sure someone is interested in buying it. It's very difficult to estimate price since average person will look the benchmark results and see that it cannot match today's machine and therefore isn't worth much, but for PowerPC enthusiast it will be totally different thing. Dual 1.6GHz would be pretty huge leap for AGP PM G4.

Just to rule out openfirmware error, I think you should reset PRAM... but if you know it is really DP 1.6 then OK.

3. thesaz123 thread starter macrumors member

How would I go about resetting the PRAM? Remove the little battery on the motherboard and put it back in?

4. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

On boot up press Control/Alt/P/R and once you hear it bong again let go. If I had a G4 I'd love to have the 1.6GHz upgrade.

5. thesaz123 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot! I'll do that later today and post back what happens.

6. thesaz123 thread starter macrumors member

Reset the PRAM successfully... "About This Mac" and System Profiler still say the same thing: Dual 1.6 GHz PowerPC G4

7. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

click on "more info" and look what it says about the manufacturer of the CPU.

Or open the side door by lifting the white ring and make a picture. If it has a violet cooler it is Sonnet and most likely a 7447a CPU.

8. Powermacg4 macrumors newbie

Mac boot problems

I have a powermac g4 tower that I found at the dump and it worked fine but it had a password on it so I reset it by holding command s and typing in some commands that I found on the internet. It worked and let me try to create a new user but when I did and error popped up and made me start over so I tried again and it did the same thing. I gave up and tried it again the next day but when it was booting up it got stuck on waiting for application services. I tried to reset it when it did this but when it turned back on it was stuck on the apple screen loading so I switched the voltage on the back and now it is stuck on waiting for application services again. Can someone please help me?

9. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I would just do a fresh OS install to avoid further trouble.

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

There could be a good reason you found it at in the trash.

Clearing the password doesn't mean that the software (the operating system) is still installed properly.

jrsx has the best advice, as the OS X system probably is corrupted. You'll want to reinstall OS X - or you can first try booting back into single-user mode (the command-S that you already used), and run the fsck command, which will quickly test the hard drive directory. To run fsck from single-user mode - type "/sbin/fsck -fy" (without the quotes) then press enter, and you'll see the disk test results.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would not touch that voltage switch. In the US it is relatively harmless to switch but will likely stop it from booting. In other countries that would have resulted in you running to turn off the smoke detector faster than you could say PowerPC.