Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NorvilleRodgers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
I was just given a PowerMac G4 450 single processor. The G4 does not have an Airport card. I just got DSL through Qwest and would like to have wireless capabilties for when I use the iBook that I bring home from work occasionally. When I am asked to start to configure the Powermac's wireless settings from the Qwest directions it asks me to click on the Airport icon, which does not appear. I can find the "AirPort Setup Assistant" in Utilities, but it won't allow me to install it unless I have an Airport card. Can I have wireless capablities without the card? It seems as though I will need to by the card to finish the configuration. I am willing to buy a card, but would rather not if I can get by without it. I am confused as to what the function of the Airport card is.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
The AirPort card allows you to connect to/create a wireless network. You shouldn't need one for your Power Mac. Just buy a wireless router if you don't already have one. Your modem plugs into the WAN port on the router, the Power Mac plugs via ethernet into one of the LAN ports, and your iBook connects wirelessly. Qwest should provide you with instructions on configuring their service with a router.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Blue be true.

Airport is just Apple's terminology for their wireless technology. So, in order to wirelessly connect to a network you would need a wireless card, as with any computer, in order to connect to it. In Apple's case, the wireless card (and their routers) bare the name Airport.

The downside to that old PowerMac is that it only takes Apple's original Airport 802.11b card which can range from ~$50-75 used and up to $150 "new" (they don;t make them anymore). The PowerMacs did not come standard with the card and it would have to have been custom built or added in later. You can check by going into the System Preferences, Network, and seeing if Airport is listed as an option amongst the other ports. (Port configurations)

There are, however, wireless PCI cards that you can purchase on the net that are Mac compatible and don't cost nearly as much (but then again still not nearly as cheap as a PC one since there are many manufacturers that make them for PC and only a few for Mac).

The easiest place to start is at macwireless. They have listed various wireless products for Mac and explain exactly what card you can use that's compatible with what version of the OS you are running (important as there are certain drivers built in to each OS).

Either way, you can still use ethernet and directly plug into the router to get internet. Like stated above, modem goes in the WAN port which is physically separated from the other ports on the router, and other devices/computers plug into the LAN ports which there may be 3 or 4 of together.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Going by a hard wired connection to a wireless router has been covered above.

However if your intention was to have the Powermac in another area of your place and you did not want to run a wire. Here are some cheaper PCI cards. Just get one of the $39 wireless N cards.

You could go even cheaper with a USB adapter but you would need a USB 2.0 PCI card. However I would recommend getting a USB 2.0 PCI card anyways since they are so cheap and give you access to many high speed USB devices.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
The downside to that old PowerMac is that it only takes Apple's original Airport 802.11b card which can range from ~$50-75 used and up to $150 "new" (they don;t make them anymore). The PowerMacs did not come standard with the card and it would have to have been custom built or added in later. You can check by going into the System Preferences, Network, and seeing if Airport is listed as an option amongst the other ports. (Port configurations)

There are, however, wireless PCI cards that you can purchase on the net that are Mac compatible and don't cost nearly as much (but then again still not nearly as cheap as a PC one since there are many manufacturers that make them for PC and only a few for Mac).

The easiest place to start is at macwireless. They have listed various wireless products for Mac and explain exactly what card you can use that's compatible with what version of the OS you are running (important as there are certain drivers built in to each OS).

... but wireless is still not the way to go unless the computer is physically separated from the modem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.