powermac G4 running 10.5.4 not shutting down!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macam, Sep 11, 2008.

1. macam macrumors regular

Hey... I have a powermac G4 10.5.4 and it's not shutting down or even restarting. I have had this problem in the past numerous times but have always resided to the fact that I would have to press the powerbutton to completely shut down... which I hate doing and hence me posting a request for help!

Basically what happens is, say I am doing a software update (like the recent iTunes 8 and quicktime for example). The Mac downloads just find and then requests that I do a restart, which I say that it can and then it will come up with a time out error and saying that Software Update failed to quit and that I should use force quit and then click on logout.

So I do that... and basically the menu bar and desktop icons disappear like it's about to shut down but then the dock (I have it visible and not hidden) just stays there with my background! Just doing nothing. So I click on the finder icon on the dock and it brings all the menu bar and the desktop icons back.

So I looked about the place and eventually did a disk utilities repair permissions and then tried to verify and repair the disk but it doesn't need it... so then I checked out console and I saw an error in there... And I have NO clue what it means (probably telling me that it won't shut down - which would be annoying because I know that!) but this is what they say:

Sep 11 11:49:43 Ds-PowerMac-G4-2 loginwindow[32]: ERROR | WSActivateApp | SetFrontProcess({0, 1384786}) returned error -600. Unable to activate process.
    Sep 11 11:50:26 Ds-PowerMac-G4-2 loginwindow[32]: ERROR | WSActivateApp | SetFrontProcess({0, 1384786}) returned error -600. Unable to activate process.

Can anyone help me out with this problem - I did do a search on this forum but in my opinion nothing like it comes up... But sorry if I have repeated a thread but due to my lack of knowledge I wouldn't have a clue!!!

Thanks

macam

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Did this update happen to be the new iTunes 8 and Quicktime update? My Macbook Pro had issues shutting down after it. I ended up holding the power button to reboot her. :mad:

3. macam thread starter macrumors regular

Well I tried to do the iTunes 8 update but it wouldn't let me restart... any ideas?!

4. maclancer macrumors regular

That's weird, my intel imac does not have any problem after the updates, in fact quicktime and itunes 8 works pretty awesome!

5. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

my intel mini no longer stays permanently asleep after the updates. It wakes up after a couple mins

6. macam thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah but I'm figuring that this issue is nothing to do with intel or powerpc and it was before i did the downloads of the latest updates (iTunes 8 or Quicktime) - so therefore it can't be something to do with that... I just wondered if anyone would have an insight into what may cause this as it is REALLY annoying... all I want to do is restart... but it won't let me so I have hold the power button and the restart and then do the updates. Surely this should be a lot more simpler? :confused::confused::confused:

7. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

X.5.5 not shutting down!

Well I have the same problem and yes I did download the Quicktime update but not iTunes. On shutdown the little gear wheel goes on and on and on, and the screen turns off leaving the FW800 running.

I can turn off with power switch. On reboot fans go crazy until the gear wheel starts again, then back to normal. Have Repaired Disk from boot DVD and Repair Permissions, however am unable to get DiskWarrior to boot at all.

Have rest PRAM and checked ingternal 3.6v battery. Any other suggestions welcome.

8. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

OK all resolved.

Step 1. Zapping the PRAM on reboot by holding down Option Alt P and R keys until two chimes. That got it started even if fans did race.

Step 2. Boot from leopard install DVD and ran Repair Disk twice and a number of errors fixed.

Stop 3. Boot from DiskWarrior v.4.1, which would not start machine previously, rebuild and a number of errors repaird.

Step 4. Boot from Apple Hardware Test 2.0.1 an d ran full test, no problems and all is well.

Problems started also after downloading and installing Applejack which has now been removed. Do not know if this was related.