Powermac G4 Sawtooth with no serial number and blank Board Serializer 3T106

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LightBulbFun, Apr 6, 2015.

1. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

ok so this is going to be a long post. well some time ago (about a year ago) I got my first PowerPC mac a 450Mhz Sawtooth one thing I took note of at the time was that in about this mac and system profiler the serial number did not show up now I put this up to the Mac just being too old for it to retrieve the serial number But today I was doing some internet browsing when i came across this : blank Board Serializer 3T106. now with some googling and this post http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1524529 I found out its a Bootble CD for setting the serial number on a Blank Mac Logic board (and like intel says in that post if you boot it on a mac with a number it will not let you change it) so it struck me what if I try booting this on my sawtooth? it has no serial number and low and behold it booted up and after some clicking put me at a enter a serial number prompted now here is where i ask what do i do? Do I set a serial number what do you think I should do with this sawtooth Logic board should i set a serial number? (the case was beaten up so i stripped it out the sawtooth is just a Logic board with PSU etc on my desk atm)

all in all I found this rather interesting I have a PPC mac with no serial number so i decided to share it on here (bellow are some pics i took if you are interested heh)

Attached Files:

2. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Well, I personally wouldn't do anything since I'm guessing it is rare to have one without a number, so why not leave it that way.

3. LightBulbFun thread starter macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

I was thinking that heh. Im just wishing I had not taken it apart now (i guess if i find another sawtooth i can transplant the Mobos around. but the case it was in was quite beaten and scratched up) oh if ur wondering the case sticker does have a serial number.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Looks like you already tried to enter a serial number, or some previous user tried to do that.
    That utility (as one of your pictures shows) is for blank boards only.
    Apparently yours has a saved serial number, and it is, unfortunately, blank (no characters). That is NOT the same as a blank board. You have a serial number, but it is empty, or <null>, but the board is not blank.

The Blank Board Serializer will not work on a board unless it is blank, and it thinks your board is not blank.
    I know that there is a method to clear the firmware, and "zero" the board again, but I don't know what the trick is.

5. LightBulbFun thread starter macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

no the one pic where it says it already has a number is from my Macbook i put it in there as an example. the rest of the pics I took from my sawtooth (i did not put in a number i just hit cancel)

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Then - the purpose for that utility is to give the option to have the system serial number burned on a replacement logic board.
    If it accepts the number, you could put anything there that you like. I *think* it will only accept the total characters for your particular system, 11, IIRC.
    There's no particular reason to have a "real" serial number, unless you are going to sell it at some point. But, it's 15 years old (and who cares about the serial number anyway :D )
    If you are going to use the logic board for your own use, then something apropos to you! (I would likely use something like "THEG4MASTER" or something unique to you.

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I wish there was a(known) way to "blank" a board. I have an MDD in which I replaced the logic board, and would like to the system serial number on it.

Does anyone know where the SN is physically stored on the board? If it's a ROM chip, I'm wondering about swapping the chips between my old board(which I still have) and the replacement board.

8. LightBulbFun thread starter macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

I do believe its stored in ROM... so i think if you switched the ROM chips over it would carry over the serial number (Im sure intel knows the real answer heh)

9. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I can't speak to PowerMac G4s, but in most "PC" Intel-based boards, the serial number is stored in onboard flash memory. (As is the MAC, and most other hardware-type addresses.)

Last time I worked at Intel, we got a batch of late-prototype motherboards that all arrived "blank". No serial number, no MAC address. They had to be delivered to testing sites within the week. I had to figure out a way to quickly throw serial numbers and MAC addresses on (along with a few other values - such as the actual stored value for "model of motherboard"!)

We had the Intel Desktop Board firmware-equivalent of that utility. I set about scripting it, and was given a sheet of Intel-assigned MAC addresses to put on them. When we were done, we still had a dozen MAC addresses left over. So now I have "spare" MAC addresses to reassign my personal system, should I need to. :-D