PowerMac G4, should I run Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AJKing, Feb 4, 2009.

1. AJKing macrumors member

AJKing

PowerMac G4 Dual 867MHz 1.75GB Memory. My system died on me, it was seemingly long overdue. I've reformatted to 10.2.8 because it's the only install disks I still had floating around, but there's no chance I can stick with it. I've been looking around for Tiger install disks but not having a lot of luck - so I'm wondering if I should keep looking for Tiger or can my machine run Leopard smoothly? I know it's the minimum requirements for Leopard, but I've been told that if I get a decent graphics/video card for the G4 it should run well. Is this true? And if so, what card is decently cheap but suitable?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks ahead of time!

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If you don't have a suitable graphics card to run the graphical additions to Leopard (Tiger had some as well, but not to the extent of Leopard) then you just won't see them.

For example, I don't have a transparent menubar and I don't see the ripples when I open a new widget, so I'm not really worried about the lack of my PM's graphical power.

The fact that you have a DUAL 867 as opposed to just a single 867 would make Leopard run that much smoother, however, it will not run as smooth as Tiger would on that same machine.

Of course, you can run Leopard on it, and it's not going to be horrible, but after that it comes down to your expectations and how you feel about the 'smoothness' of it. I've run Leopard on a 1Ghz PowerBook and had no problems with it, and one would assume that a dual 867 PM would run it better.

Edit:I know it runs a tad choppy on a dual 800 =P

3. claimed4all macrumors 6502

I bought a used Quicksilver PowerMac for my parents about 4-5 months ago. Its a single G4 867mhz, 1 gig of ram and a 64mb graphic card. It runs Leopard very nicely. For them they just use safari, itunes, iphoto with a 25-30,000 library and a few other small programs and its very nice, for them. When I visit I have no problem if I need to use if for a few hours.

So you should have no problem running Leopard.