Powermac G4 Upgrading

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Malkavian, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Malkavian macrumors newbie

Malkavian

Hello everyone :D Ok so I'm new to MacRumors and I was looking for some help from you folk. I have created many Computers alas not Macs. I recently got a Powermac G4 466Mhz yeah its old and its not a super Intel Core 2 Duo. But my plan is to bring some life back to the old Lady I plan on upgrading it to the max I can go I will be ordering a dual G4 Processors for the system I have all ready put a 500GB Hard Drive in it and it is now running Tiger Very well I must say. It how ever has a few Flaws the stock Graphic Card is well not the best its an Ati Rage128 with 16mb Vram. The Thing is I have a few Nvidia
    Ge-Force 5200 PCI Cards there not Super but there Vram is a lot better at 128mb the problem is How The Hell do I flash it so i can use it on the mac. also Can someone tell me what's the Max PC133 Ram can go is it 512 or 1GB and Where could I get me some? at moment this mac only got 640mb Ram which is not bad but If I want to make this Mac somewhat Future Proof I will need a good few upgrades. Sorry about all the questions here and sorry people If i sound Like a newbie I'm not new to Mac and not new to computers but I can do pretty much anything with a PC and have made many from scratch.
    The Mac inside part is new to me I can under Mac OS well from OS 7 to Os X :eek:

2. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

I believe 1GB is max RAM. A 1.8GHz may be the max. I think you can flash the GPU off a PC.

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

4. Malkavian thread starter macrumors newbie

Malkavian

Thanks for the information I will see what I can do. just need to find a way to flash graphics card on PC so it will work on the mac

5. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

I've got an old Sawtooth PowerMac G4 400MHz. I've got 1.25Gb Ram in mine. The maximum Ram is 2Gb using Tiger and 1.5Gb using Panther.

You can put in a Radeon 9800 Mac graphics card in it - I think that's the most advanced graphics card you can put in. I've got a Radeon 9200 in mine though.

I hardly use mine anymore as I got a Power PC Mac Mini which works just fine.

6. Lightnin Rick macrumors member

I thought that that mac could only read up to 160 on the HD.

7. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

I think you get the Mac firmware and install it on the card by the PC. I don't know past that.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well according to MacTracker and LowEndMac you would be correct, assuming it is attached to the standard internal bus and not a PCI card. The only difference from what you said is that the limitation is actually 128Gb rather than 160.

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc