Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
The Yikes! was one of the last G4 towers I needed to complete my collection. It actually proved fairly difficult to find(then I bought another locally a month later, as it seems things often happen with PPC Macs).

These are interesting towers. If you look at the logic board, you'll actually see solder pads for the ADB port that was present on the B&W G3 but deleted from the Yikes!.

Have fun!

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
They're very hard to find, but there are ZIF processor upgrades for that G4. I think they went to a 1 GHz G4 or it may have even been a strange 1 GHz G3.

And yes, they are very interesting towers at that point in Mac history.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have found the lack of Target Disk Mode on the Yikes we have here at work to be very limiting and often frustrating.

That said, it does very well on Tiger as our Applescript server. We run it headless (that is, without a video card).

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
I have found the lack of Target Disk Mode on the Yikes we have here at work to be very limiting and often frustrating.

That said, it does very well on Tiger as our Applescript server. We run it headless (that is, without a video card).

I swear we could throw a Lisa (or its Mac XL sister from another mister) and you could find a real, honest use for it right now. :D

Reactions: eyoungren

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
They're very hard to find, but there are ZIF processor upgrades for that G4. I think they went to a 1 GHz G4 or it may have even been a strange 1 GHz G3.

I have a 1ghz Sonnet G4 in a G3 beige minitower, although the processors are pretty freely interchangeable across the the three different ZIF logic boards(with the exception that B&Ws need to be "unlocked" for G4 support).

The one caveat to the 1ghz Sonnet is that it requires you to lower the bus speed to 66mhz. For that reason(among others) I've elected to leave it in the beige since that's their default bus speed and thus one of the few advantages of using a B&W or Yikes! is that you can shove in an extra 256mb of RAM.

There's also a very scarce 1.1ghz G3 upgrade. This particular processor has an extremely low TDP and can actually use the stock heatsink in a B&W or beige G3(the Yikes! heatsink is huge compared to the two). By contrast, the 1ghz Sonnet G4 uses a heatsink about 2 1/2 times the length of the ZIF socket and with two fans on top of it.

Reactions: MysticCow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.